What to do next?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by WHpe750, Jun 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My names Will,
    I'm 16 and was hoping to join the FAA as a helicopter pilot after 6th form, i started the process as soon as i was 15 years and 9 months old and passed every stage until the flying aptitude tests. I found that the level of knowledge needed to pass was far beyond what i would know at my age. After my interview with the officer taking the tests he told me not too worry as i showed potential with my results , but needed to gain more experience before re-trying. In part this means taking my a levels but i also want to get more hands on experience. After looking ,I'm coming to the conclusion that joining the RNR is the best way to gain practical experience, is this a good choice and are there other choices on offer?

many thanks
  2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Carry on with your A levels, go on to uni and then have another go. I'm not sure what the joining age is for the RNR, but 16 seems a bit young.

Good luck!
  3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Please do not join the RNR - its got a very operational focus and is optimised towards getting people onto the front line on ops. For someone like yourself, I would suggest cadets or DofE, then wait till you go to Uni and then join the URNU.

The RNR is a very busy operational part of the Navy and not a clearing house for wannabe officers.