What to do in Portsmouth

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MotleyBlue, May 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I start BRNC this month and my lovely wife to be would like me to take her to HMNB this weekend to show her a bit more about what I will be doing while we have the last chance to spend some time together!

I have seen on the local websites some interesting things but I wondered if any people that had spent a lot of time there had some recommendations for some good things to do. Possibly less well known touristy things or just great pubs, restaurants and shops?

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Last edited: May 4, 2012
  3. That's fantastic thanks Sol.
  4. Gunwharf is good for shops etc and there's more museums than you can shake a stick at in the area.
  5. Travelling North just past Junction 12 on the M275 has always been the highlight of my visits.
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Take her to town, trawl her around until she's more bored than a bored thing being bored, that way when you wave her goodbye she' safe in the knowledge there' nowt goin on and hel'safe leavinn kev up here.
  7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Fred Dibnah walt.
  8. Before leaving for your trip purchase two pooper- scoopers,then you and your lovely wife could while away any free time cleaning up the dog shit.

The Royal Marines museum is always worth a visit.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Go to the dockyard for a SHORT visit; stroll back via Gunwharf consuming a few in the Customs House or All Bar One, wander further down towards Old Portsmouth stopping off at the A Bar Bistro on the way and then continue towards Spice Island and The Still and West, pausing for a beer outside if its nice, continue walking as you're now on the front and can stroll down the hot rocks/round tower area and along the sea front.

Relentless, Rosies, A Bar Bistro, Restuarant 27, Bistro Monteparnasse are all very nice for food (Relentless has a large waiting list but does have the odd free table), loads of smaller eateries/pubs on the Old Portsmouth/Southsea interface. Wander up the high street in Old Portsmouth and stop in The Dolphin or Monks bar, they're wardroom haunts and quite nice.

You can find some really decent older pubs (The Hole in the wall, the leopold, The Florence) all over Portsmouth but save those for another day.

Its not an especially pretty City, the best parts are as I've said down by Gunwharf, into Old Portsmouth and Southsea - stray further North and its grim
  10. Thanks guys, tip of the cap to wave doger for his comprehensive response!
  11. vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

12. Good god man, never mind all this walking round docklands business, you are off to BRNC, you won't see her for at least 5 weeks... Stop wasting precious time, shag the arse off her!

Good luck
    • Like Like x 1
  13. We aren't married yet Mou Sea so can't!
  14. Ahh, hence motley blue. . .the colour of your unused nuts?
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  15. Eh?.....................................................
  16. Good link sol!! Made my sunday look a bit more exciting..
    With the ships being how does it work? Can't imagine they let u wander around freely, do they do tours every hour or something?
    And assume there's no restriction on age?? Gonna be bring my little boy with me whos only 3..
  17. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You are Victorian and i claim my Florin.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Theres no age limit just common sense, if you're happy and able to help the little on up/down any ladders/stairs it won't be an issue. I've taken my kids from their earliest ages they love an hour or so being shown a pussers grey, and yes they are tours of a sort, they tend to be circuits of particular spaces so you get a general feel for the ship.
  19. Quality thank you. Absolutely buzzing can't wait!!
  20. You one of these religious types?
    I can see you'll fit in well.