What to bring..?

WelshJaffaCake

Lantern Swinger
Did you read my posts about fatalities and Operational Honours? Training is fcuk all. When the shooting starts, the RFA is a legitimate target, including Argus in PCRF role.

Doesn't mean that the RFA deserve a rail card.
I didn't say there won't any dangers and wasn't meant to disrespect any members who have died from said dangers but if people want the benefits of HMAF join the HMAF.

Now it does bring in the question with RFA taking roles usually done by the RN thanks to cuts to number of ships and the government grouping the RFA with RN ships to bulk up the numbers.

How the hell do I explain the RFA to people?

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I'm a civilian seaman and the RFA provides support to the RN.

From the RN website : "The civilian-manned Royal Fleet Auxiliary delivers worldwide logistical and operational support for the wide range of tasks the Royal Navy undertakes including warfighting, counter-piracy, humanitarian and disaster relief, and counter-narcotics operations."

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Depends on how you see yourself alongside the RN as to which attitude you take with you.

The merchant navy association don't seem to recognise the RFA when it comes to awards etc.? Reading their magazine the other day it appears to be full of "Not including RFA", "Not RFA"

Bluebird79

Lantern Swinger
I don't need to label myself, I explain what the RFA is and does. To explain it really simple to people I talk about the ensigns... White = RN, Blue + anchor = RFA, Red = MN.

I'm in the RFA, not the RN or the MN .

Sophia Johannah

Midshipman
I know there's a few people joining in September, so if any of you want to drop me a message about things like personal kit etc., please do! I'd be more than happy to help :)

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
Can anyone tell me what leave you get after completing basic at Raleigh (seaman apprentice) and the weeks survival at Excellent? Trying to plan a holiday with the wife and need to know if there is any breaks between the training and the first sea draft.

Sophia Johannah

Midshipman
Sometimes it's a couple of weeks but sometimes you're pretty much straight on the ship. It depends where you're needed really. If it helps, we get 2 weeks off at Christmas, starting from the 22nd, and we get the entirety of August off, that's only if you're still at Raleigh of course. That's pretty much all I know, I don't know much about the deckies course.. Sorry!