Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the f_ _k you talking about?

Rumrat

War Hero
Guns said:
Guardrails are still struck. Well if they need to be. Shot matts are laid. Shells brought up from Deep Mag to the Gun bay via a hoist and man handled to the RU lockers and then out of the container and on to the gun hoist/rail (you can load shells on to a carousel so you can control which shell is feed to the gun.

I was once captain of the gun bay. Nice to know the ring as we called it is still about.
Even made captain of the turret in one ship. And been guns crew in a 6" turret. :oops:
I bet Granny can black cat that. :twisted:

Rumrat said:
Right
I left the mob twenty odd years ago and so much as changed I think some of us old cunts need re educating.
I have struggled with RR threads sometimes as I feel like I'm learning a foreign language, along with all these fuckin new fangled abbreviations.

2DD has just had to be told in another thread what a newbie was talking about and if he had not of asked I would have thought he was talking about a pub.
So in this thread I am going to ask like a newbie what some of the patter fuckin means.
I just found out what PJFT means, and now I would like some other questions answered.
1/ What is the minimum time of service, and what age does your service start?
If you join at 16 what do you have to serve?
2/ What is the minimum for a pension?
3/Are there any "juniors" nowadays, and in the seaman branch is there still J/S, O/D, and A/B.
And what the flying fuck is this putting your notice in bollocks?

Bewildered of Tamworth (I think)
RR check out my thread on ROMFT ref MAA and its not Master At Arms that will really do yer beffudled head in :?

RR its still a fcuking great career my little girl loves it, came home on leave over the weekend and it really pisses the missus off when we talk in jackspeak all afternoon while she sinks pints of Cornish Rattler cider and I have to drink halves to keep up with her

Edited for gash spelling - Rattler affected

seafarer1939 said:
When i joined in '56 I was advised to go all out to be a leading seaman,working things out I figured I'd be demobbed after 11 years,the waiting list for a leading seaman then was, 14 years!
No wonder I ended up an AB GA2 although they did try to push me to do a GI's course 'cos I wasn't bad at parading classes and gunnery but I resisted.
Less time at Whale Island was a bonus for me,and most!

I joined in 1956 as a junior . Did Killicks course at age 20 and was rated
within a year acting . The Navy was pensioning off all the old warrior senior rates so the advancement rosters for almost every branch were basically dry around 1961 ----1964 . No Fifth fives either so if you wanted to be a killick or PO you you were encouraged to do it .

G

Rumrat

War Hero
Greenie said:
seafarer1939 said:
When i joined in '56 I was advised to go all out to be a leading seaman,working things out I figured I'd be demobbed after 11 years,the waiting list for a leading seaman then was, 14 years!
No wonder I ended up an AB GA2 although they did try to push me to do a GI's course 'cos I wasn't bad at parading classes and gunnery but I resisted.
Less time at Whale Island was a bonus for me,and most!

I joined in 1956 as a junior . Did Killicks course at age 20 and was rated
within a year acting . The Navy was pensioning off all the old warrior senior rates so the advancement rosters for almost every branch were basically dry around 1961 ----1964 . No Fifth fives either so if you wanted to be a killick or PO you you were encouraged to do it .

G

I was deferred for advancement by my DO so I challenged the board.
I was rated within two years. That was the early '70's.

2badge_mango

War Hero
Fascinating thread! Having drawn my pension for 35 years come September I too feel somewhat bemused by some postings (but I did manage to work out what PJFT stood for.) :lol:
On the subject of pensions. Will the new pension arrangement be paid pro rata, or will a full pension be paid after 18 years?
Re branches. I was one of the first L/Hands to be selected for Caterer (May '64) when the branch was formed. L/Hands passed for PO, and above, from all supply branches were eligible for selection, (though we did have one ex Yeoman who was well respected within the branch, and finished up as a Fleet Chief.) What is the situation now? Is it a matter of promotion within the Chef's branch, or still a matter of selection?
With my "other hat" on (ex Raleigh parade instructor). Are Instructors still just pulled from the fleet (as I was), or do they now do a special course? On a visit to Raleigh a few years ago, the Parade Staff were either AWW or Booties, (including one female L/Hand).
I'd be very interested to hear from anyone currently serving who has experience of either of these situations.

2BM

tommo

War Hero
seenoffteefcuk said:
tommo said:
18 years is full service now not 22

Is this a GEN DIT
if so what happens to the pension etc is that a lower rate and when did it change from 22

Those who on are a 22 year contract remain so, those rejoining (even if they were on the old pension scheme) or joining up go on to a 18 year one.

Guns

War Hero
2badge_mango said:
Fascinating thread! Having drawn my pension for 35 years come September I too feel somewhat bemused by some postings (but I did manage to work out what PJFT stood for.) :lol:
On the subject of pensions. Will the new pension arrangement be paid pro rata, or will a full pension be paid after 18 years?
Re branches. I was one of the first L/Hands to be selected for Caterer (May '64) when the branch was formed. L/Hands passed for PO, and above, from all supply branches were eligible for selection, (though we did have one ex Yeoman who was well respected within the branch, and finished up as a Fleet Chief.) What is the situation now? Is it a matter of promotion within the Chef's branch, or still a matter of selection? All promotion to Leading Hand and above is by promotion board and then selection by numbers. ie you have to pass the promotion board (reports etc) and then the top x are promoted dependant on numbers required. Which is why you occasionally get additional promotion signals. No roster or points anymore.
With my "other hat" on (ex Raleigh parade instructor). Are Instructors still just pulled from the fleet (as I was), or do they now do a special course? On a visit to Raleigh a few years ago, the Parade Staff were either AWW or Booties, (including one female L/Hand). All Phase 1 instructors (those that take the kids through Raleigh) are selected. In the sense that they need recommendations in their SJAR (annual reports or Service personnel Joint Appraisal Report) to work Phase 1 and 2, Phase 2 or not as long as the Canman sells stuff overpriced. Parade staff are normally AAW staff or Drill Leaders RM. Not always and as the manning situation gets tighter I suspect that it will be an Any Branch assignment (the new word for draft) before long. However to be Parade Staff you need to complete the Ceremonial course at Collingwood and be recommended.
I'd be very interested to hear from anyone currently serving who has experience of either of these situations.

2BM

Guzzler

War Hero
2badge_mango said:
2BM

It's very complicated 2b_m. Strictly speaking you don't receive full pension until age 65. Briefly, If you leave at age 40 (providing you have served at least 18 years) you receive 50% pension. This gradually rises to 75% at age 55 where it remains until age 65, when it then kicks in 'properly'.

I think. 8O

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Guzzler said:
2badge_mango said:
2BM

It's very complicated 2b_m. Strictly speaking you don't receive full pension until age 65. Briefly, If you leave at age 40 (providing you have served at least 18 years) you receive 50% pension. This gradually rises to 75% at age 55 where it remains until age 65, when it then kicks in 'properly'.

I think. 8O

If your on the new pension scheme of course (just to make it easier :? )

speedkey

Midshipman
Rum Rat me left in 1989 and thank God 25 completed but cant keep up wiv the new Navy ffs but had great times

Left 3 years ago after 35 years as a WO1 and commuted on top to pay for me and Mrs STM to go to Thailand for a couple of months. In 2 years time at 55 I will have paid up the commuted amount and the pension becomes index linked to catch up with inflation and then increases every year with inflation until the grim reaper takes me. Payback for the shit and long deployments.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
stan_the_man said:
Left 3 years ago after 35 years as a WO1 and commuted on top to pay for me and Mrs STM to go to Thailand for a couple of months. In 2 years time at 55 I will have paid up the commuted amount and the pension becomes index linked to catch up with inflation and then increases every year with inflation until the grim reaper takes me. Payback for the shit and long deployments.

2 years until the magic 55 and index linked :D

2badge_mango

War Hero
Thank you Guns, Guzzler, and WreckerL for your comprehensive replies.
It seems a far cry from just receiving a draft chit to "Raleigh (Instructor)".
As a L/Ck(O) (8yrs) and PO Caterer (3yrs) I'd never actually stood in front of a squad. Normally worked with a cook's mate watch and watch about, or just me and a PO Stwd as Captain's staff, and then me and a Jack Dusty (V) in an office, so little opportunity to practice giving orders! Introduction to Raleigh was a ten day instructional technique course in Drake, followed by "Pick your class up at the New Entry block on Monday morning". The IT course was basically "how to stand up in a classroom without making a complete twat of yourself." :roll:
So me and the class were on a learning curve together. Add to this the fact that I had never actually seen an SLR, and you can imagine with what trepidation I met my 26 wide eyed new entries on Monday morning. 8O
After 6 weeks they passed out with no back-classes, and I was able to breathe again. Shortly thereafter the Gunnery Officer asked (yes asked) me if I would like a job on the Parade, and that's where I spent the next three years, again learning on the job, no courses, though I did double bank a GI for a week. :lol:

Regarding pensions - I retired as a CPO(A) in 1975 on, as the form stated, "an annual Naval pension for life of £1286.00", which was equal to roughly one third of my pay. When I was 55 this jumped to just over £5500, and has been index linked since then. So it would appear from Guzzler's answer, that my generation has been more favourably treated in the pension department.

My question regarding Caterers was more aimed at the route rather than the qualifications required to reach that exalted station. :)
When the "Logistics (Supply Chain) (whatever)" was introduced, I saw no reference to Caterers at all. Does that mean they no longer exist? If they do, do they still wear the same branch badge, or have they been absorbed into the unneccessarily complicated arrangement now enjoyed :? by Cooks, Stewards, Dusties, and Scribes?

2BM

lesbryan

War Hero
Rumrat said:
Ok so now another bone question.

Do seamen still have to learn two trades as was in days of yore.
IE Seaman/Gunner
Seaman /Torpedo and anti submarine,(TAS)
Seaman/Radar Plotter.(RP)
Or is it as I suspect from these threads Seamanship full stop. Which then calls another question to mind.
Recently I read a statement on here about the Leander class frigates being heavily manned (250ish bods..correct ) as to the type 22/23's having 171. If this is so how can you have less men doing the work that 250 did who had dual jobs?
Does that make sense?
Its easy i went on the manchester a few years back when she called in Hull .She was a right fuc$$%ing state inside and out .She was orange with rust the messdeckks galley and dininghall wer disgusting.When i asked the answers i got were.Oh the dockies will do that when we get to wherever.I asked the same of the messdecks and were told the cleaners will do it when we get back