What sort of questions come under the verbal ability bit of the RT?

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
Specifically, are there lots of "which of the following words means the same as/opposite to [word]"?

I tried a practice test, 40 questions on that type of thing, and had 5 minutes spare - but got 28/40. All the words at the end seemed to be made up - does anyone actually use aggrandise or exigent?

I'm fairly good with English, I got A* in the English Language GCSE, but unless I digest a dictionary, I can't see me getting all of this - unless they use words people actually know. And the test is only 30 questions for this section, not all of which are this type are they? The book my AFCO gave me certainly seems to agree.

Final question: does the interview often take place right after the psychometric test? I intend to do the test in non-interview quality clothes (not too scruffy, mind, more casual) but don't want to be caught out.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The recruit test is a psychometric test first used in 1943. The test is reviewed and updated to keep it relevant but there are the odd anomalies requiring exigent updates to ensure the Naval Service is aggrandised as a modern equal opportunities employer.

WannabeAdmiral

Lantern Swinger
The recruit test is a psychometric test first used in 1943. The test is reviewed and updated to keep it relevant but there are the odd anomalies requiring exigent updates to ensure the Naval Service is aggrandised as a modern equal opportunities employer.

Dammit, Ninja!

Did you have to think long and hard about using those words, or does it come naturally? Shakespearean language isn't used much anymore!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
For some, iambic pentameter comes naturally - For others, shorthand works.

Words like extant, exigencies & promulgated, seldom seen elsewhere, are in virtual daily use in the service. I blame Pepys.