What sort of boats are these?

Here is an old photograph I have just purchased of the Ganges II with submarines moored alongside her.

Can anyone tell me what type of boats they are. It's a bit odd seeing them moored alongside the old hulk, a constrast between the old and new navy.

andym

War Hero
I think they might be C Class Subs.

These submarines designed for Coastal duties was the first major production (38 submarines in all) for the Royal Navy, These submarines were considered for harbour defence and a alternative to minefields. This was the idea of Admiral Fisher. This design was slightly larger than the B class. and a major difference was it had two periscopes one for a continues look out and one for the commanding officer.

Displacement: 288 tons surfaced and 318 tons submerged. Speed: 13 knots on the surface and 7.5 knots submerged. Range: 1000 nautical miles on the surface at 8.75 knots. Powered by a Vickers Petrol engine giving 600hp on surface and 300 Hp submerged. Compliment: 16 Armament: two 18-inch Torpedo Tubes and carried four torpedoes.

Both pics taken alongside a "depot ship" in Harwich 1910.

Looks like a fair bet Andy, AACcould also check whatboats were in the Harwich flottila at the time the photo was taken

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil FB: Navy Wings: 'The Wrong Sort Of Air' ……......…..... The Fleet Air Arm 3
Sumo Justice being sort or vendetta against the British Army, with Politicians letting it happen? Current Affairs 1
vauxhall Theresa May: We have to sort war widows pension scandal Finance & Pensions 0
WannabeAdmiral What sort of questions come under the verbal ability bit of the RT? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil Pompey News: "Is It A Bird? Is It A Plane? Well, Sort Of ...." The Fleet Air Arm 0
Stirling My sort of filum. Diamond Lil's 13
Muppet89 Newbie here! (sort of!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
Ghost I thought this sort of behaviour was limited to the deepest, darkest South West! Diamond Lil's 1
W What sort of boat ports the most? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S What sort of things are in a task book? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 52
Leo_Tonge What sort of bag is recommended to fit all of kit list in? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 60
Z Just discovered this one (Keeley Hazell-sort of NSFW) Diamond Lil's 27
chipaz new to forum sort of new to navy life :D Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Nails lets sort out our forces The Corps 19
royalbumbaclod Write a novel of some sort? The Corps 3
Kiwi-Fi My first run ashore......sort of.... Diamond Lil's 14
Pitfirrane Well it is sort of a sport! Sports and Adventure Training 2
silverfox This sort of thing just beggars belief... The Quarterdeck 3
dhoby_bucket What sort of country is this?? Current Affairs 7
A What sort of jacket's that Mr Ainsworth?! The Corps 11
T JPA! CAN SOMEONE ON HERE PLEASE SORT IT OUT! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 15
slim Isn't this sort of cheating? Diamond Lil's 42
Slop_Jockey Wrens Advertisment - Well sort of! The Gash Barge 2
MoD_RSS First boats set to pass through the new Boston Barrier MoD News 0
W Boats or Ships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
soleil The Maritime Executive: "How the Royal Navy Searches Boats for Narcotics" The Fleet 6
MoD_RSS Britain and France to strengthen joint action against small boats MoD News 0
janner Collins Class Boats Submariners 1
MoD_RSS Smart boats could revolutionise UK fishing and seafood industries MoD News 0
Wee-lad Stay on the merchant path or go boats Joining the Royal Navy 7
Ageing_Gracefully Real Big Boats Diamond Lil's 4
B Choice of boats Submariners 28
Tui Bird Noisy submerged diesel boats Submariners 10
J GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
soleil Press & Journal: "Royal Navy Patrol Boats In Tour Of The North" SCC and URNU 0
janner Canadian U Boats. Submariners 7
skyvet A tribute to Astute boats Submariners 10
janner A Boats Submariners 1
eto89 Tide Boats - SE/ME RFA 7
janner Name these Boats Diamond Lil's 16
janner Wooden Boats Diamond Lil's 20
F Boats question ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
J A boats. Submariners 8
B A good time to join boats? Submariners 10
P Been offered ETWE Boats... Need advice! Submariners 22
SONAR-BENDER Lack of Faceache on boats! Submariners 11
bargee1937 Ships Boats of the 1930's and 1940's? History 10
P SIFT interview ship,boats,vessels crib sheets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
slim Better Than boats in yer Bathtub. Current Affairs 4
Joint_Force_Harrier Woo's On Boats The Fleet Air Arm 14