Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What sort of boats are these?

Here is an old photograph I have just purchased of the Ganges II with submarines moored alongside her.

Can anyone tell me what type of boats they are. It's a bit odd seeing them moored alongside the old hulk, a constrast between the old and new navy.

P2051519-copy.jpg

andym

War Hero
I think they might be C Class Subs.

These submarines designed for Coastal duties was the first major production (38 submarines in all) for the Royal Navy, These submarines were considered for harbour defence and a alternative to minefields. This was the idea of Admiral Fisher. This design was slightly larger than the B class. and a major difference was it had two periscopes one for a continues look out and one for the commanding officer.

Displacement: 288 tons surfaced and 318 tons submerged. Speed: 13 knots on the surface and 7.5 knots submerged. Range: 1000 nautical miles on the surface at 8.75 knots. Powered by a Vickers Petrol engine giving 600hp on surface and 300 Hp submerged. Compliment: 16 Armament: two 18-inch Torpedo Tubes and carried four torpedoes.

cclasssubs.jpg

cclasssubs2.jpg

Both pics taken alongside a "depot ship" in Harwich 1910.

Looks like a fair bet Andy, AACcould also check whatboats were in the Harwich flottila at the time the photo was taken

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil FB: Navy Wings: 'The Wrong Sort Of Air' ……......…..... The Fleet Air Arm 3
Sumo Justice being sort or vendetta against the British Army, with Politicians letting it happen? Current Affairs 1
vauxhall Theresa May: We have to sort war widows pension scandal Finance & Pensions 0
WannabeAdmiral What sort of questions come under the verbal ability bit of the RT? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil Pompey News: "Is It A Bird? Is It A Plane? Well, Sort Of ...." The Fleet Air Arm 0
Stirling My sort of filum. Diamond Lil's 13
Muppet89 Newbie here! (sort of!) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
Ghost I thought this sort of behaviour was limited to the deepest, darkest South West! Diamond Lil's 1
W What sort of boat ports the most? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S What sort of things are in a task book? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 52
Leo_Tonge What sort of bag is recommended to fit all of kit list in? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 60
Z Just discovered this one (Keeley Hazell-sort of NSFW) Diamond Lil's 27
chipaz new to forum sort of new to navy life :D Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Nails lets sort out our forces The Corps 19
royalbumbaclod Write a novel of some sort? The Corps 3
Kiwi-Fi My first run ashore......sort of.... Diamond Lil's 14
Pitfirrane Well it is sort of a sport! Sports and Adventure Training 2
silverfox This sort of thing just beggars belief... The Quarterdeck 3
dhoby_bucket What sort of country is this?? Current Affairs 7
A What sort of jacket's that Mr Ainsworth?! The Corps 11
T JPA! CAN SOMEONE ON HERE PLEASE SORT IT OUT! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 15
slim Isn't this sort of cheating? Diamond Lil's 45
Slop_Jockey Wrens Advertisment - Well sort of! The Gash Barge 2
MoD_RSS Fire and Rescue Service Boats report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defra seeks views on expanding use of monitoring technology on fishing boats MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Unmanned 'spy' boats...... Current Affairs 15
MoD_RSS First boats set to pass through the new Boston Barrier MoD News 0
W Boats or Ships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
soleil The Maritime Executive: "How the Royal Navy Searches Boats for Narcotics" The Fleet 5
MoD_RSS Britain and France to strengthen joint action against small boats MoD News 0
janner Collins Class Boats Submariners 1
MoD_RSS Smart boats could revolutionise UK fishing and seafood industries MoD News 0
Wee-lad Stay on the merchant path or go boats Joining the Royal Navy 7
Ageing_Gracefully Real Big Boats Diamond Lil's 4
B Choice of boats Submariners 28
Tui Bird Noisy submerged diesel boats Submariners 10
J GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
soleil Press & Journal: "Royal Navy Patrol Boats In Tour Of The North" SCC and URNU 0
janner Canadian U Boats. Submariners 7
skyvet A tribute to Astute boats Submariners 10
janner A Boats Submariners 1
eto89 Tide Boats - SE/ME RFA 7
janner Name these Boats Diamond Lil's 16
janner Wooden Boats Diamond Lil's 20
F Boats question ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
J A boats. Submariners 8
B A good time to join boats? Submariners 10
P Been offered ETWE Boats... Need advice! Submariners 22
SONAR-BENDER Lack of Faceache on boats! Submariners 11
bargee1937 Ships Boats of the 1930's and 1940's? History 10