What ship is this?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by steinlagerXV, Oct 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any of you Nave types tell me what ship that is in the left of the picture, type will be sufficient. I am trying to date a photo for a friend that his Dad took in Hong Kong in the 50's we have narrowed it down to being post 1952 and pre-59, because of the Daring Class destroyer in dock and some of the buildings that have not been built.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Could be the rear end of one of the Submarine Depot Ships, Forth, Adamant or Tyne maybe?

3. I would agree with janner on the depot ship, and it looks like a Daring Class astern of her, the grey one that is!!

4. Thank you!

5. Any takers on the jaundiced looking thing in the middle?

6. White hull, cream superstructure could be a survey ship!

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

8. Not sure.Looks a bit like an old Castle class corvette.Were any of those put on survey work in the 50's?

9. Couldn't get through on the Link, looks like HMS Tyne the depot ship which puts the photo in 1953, thanks again.

10. Looks like a bay class frigate converted to a survey vessel, for example H.M.S Dalrymple.

11. I think you will find that the ship is HMS Adament.

12. Couldn't be Adamant if the time window for the photo is correct.

13. Just on the buildings alone we have narrowed it down to 1957 and 1959, it is most likely HMS Tyne, because of the life boat configuration and the ladder down the side are identical to other pictures of the same vessel.

Thanks for the help folks, somebody has now put together a piece of his Father's life!

14. If those dates are correct, it couldn't be the Tyne either. She arrived back in the UK in May 1954 and never ventured east of the Med after that.

15. Interesting! I have tried blowing the picture up and can't make out the name on the vessels ladder thing which would put to bed any speculation!

16. Why peg it as a submarine support ship? Surely It could just as easily have been a destroyer support ship?

17. True, I was going off what they others had said before. But looking at the rear mast and the life boats it is exactly the same as pictures of HMS Tyne, somebody else might have their building dates mixed up, and Tyne was a Destroyer support ship before it became a submarine one!
    I am open to answers, I am not the SME by any stretch of imagination!

18. Ship on the right looks remarkably like a BATTLEE class destroyer - round fronted 4.5 turrets.

19. Going on the aft mast it looks like Tyne/Hecla. Hecla sank 42 so it looks like its the Tyne

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1