"What shall we do with a drunken Sailor" Censor him

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Nutty, Jan 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. See toadys BBC News now the PC bridage have turned the ditty: "What shall we do with a drunken sailor" into a ".................Grumpy Pirate" to distance children from alcohol.

Still Purple Twiglet will tell us its all to do with the RN's Budget and SPB will tell us he is part of the Military but not in the Police, our very own PC representives.

Drunken Sailor

Nutty

2. "Drunken sailors" have been removed from the lyrics of a nursery rhyme ?

It's a sea shanty!

SP

3. If you hadn't heard, black sheep are now known as rainbow sheep.

4. And the same people also said that humpty dumpty is too violent to kids and that three little pigs is offensive to muslims.

Its PC gone mad

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Quite right, 'Drunken Sailor' is a malicious, fictitious construct as RRs well know and sends out an entirely false and disrespectful image. XMT NZB perhaps. Anyway we haven't any longboats left.

6. Reg office now!

They are ethnically challanged sheep,you cant say b"£%& anymore. 8O

7. If we cannot have the rum cos it makes us drunken sailors.
    Baccy is anti social.
    Bum must be OK

8. Ok!? It's bloody well compulsory!! :D

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Of course the nursery rhyme 'Robin and Richard were two pretty men' is unaffected by this ..

10. Can Jack still take Jill up the hill?

11. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

12. I'm not at all sure I can understand the logic behind this argument. It appears that there was a secret agenda to remove any references to alcohol but surely replacing them with references to crimes such as piracy must be worse?!

Can it not also be argued that in these times of increased attacks on shipping along the coast of Somalia and in the Malacca straits that romanticising armed criminals is a rather insensitive idea? It also downplays the danger to merchantmen travelling through those waters which keeps the danger alive.

I think the original rhyme makes an argument against drinking, for none of the suggestions for the 'drunken sailor' are particularly pleasant, and he is made a figure of fun in the rhyme. I'd rather children be taught that drunkeness brings punishment than that pirates are friendly and like their bellies tickled. At least the former is to some extent factual, which isn't that what education is all about?

13. So all pirates were "T" ? Another childhood impression down the PC tube. Bah, a pox on them and their houses. Next thing, Hitler was a good chap, but seriously misunderstood. What a shower of J Arfurs.

14. Personally I would put him in the long boat 'til he's sober.

15. Surely that (edit - six and a half) supports the comment by the charity involved that this is nothing to do with the hysterical 'political correctness' fabricated by right-wing media. Maybe it has been done purely to fit in with a 'pirate theme'.

It's not all reds under the bed folks.

16. There is nothing fabricated about political correctness. It is a very real and very terrifying menace (George Orwell's 1984 and 'newspeak' anyone?)

I'm sure that you're right, Guzzler, and that its not always reds under the bed. But I fear that it usually is, or is that just paranoia?

17. It was interesting listening to Talk-Sport today, they did a version of "what shall we do with the Grumpy Pirate" - NICE.......Not.

They then had a phone in for PC'd Football songs which was a laugh. Like "who's the fatherless child in the black".

I suppose you had to be there!!!

Sm

:)

18. Brainstorming is banned as well now… It's offensive to people with migraines, I kid you not.

19. I think it is actually rather nice and if it helps to generate more positive interaction between parents and children then I am all for it.

"We wanted to find a rhyme which would fit in with this subject and this one has []a tune which is instantly recognisable by all[/]," said a statement from Bookstart.

"The []inclusion of action lyrics like 'wiggle' and 'tickle' offer parents and small children an opportunity to interact, have fun and enjoy acting out the rhyme together[/]."

During a period when we are increasingly reading about horrible acts of violence against children (by their own parents) and given the recognised fact that many parents simply have no idea how to "interact" with their children, this should be seen as a positive initiative.

20. Crazy PC madness and as usual really in touch with today's kids! cause we hear them singing that ancient sea shanty all the time in the streets these days!!!!