What shall I wear?

Vertical stripes are slimming checks lagge patterns and horizontal stripes make to look fatter. Do not worry to much about the weight at this point. Of course start to shed it but the weight problem will come when you have a medical and fitness test I assume they will not be at this date.

Stop eating and start training now.

Nutty

Maxi_77 said:
creddly said:
LOL no chance of me being an Admiral or anything too high for that matter! I just want to get in! lol!

You never know till you try, and if you don't try youll never know, so try.

Good luck

Thank you my friend!

Will definitely give it my all anyway!

Effort-wise I should be flawless, but intelligence should hinder my progress!

I'm confident that I'm clever enough to get in and pass the test and maybe make it up a rank or two from a rating, if I'm lucky and give it my all for many years but definitely no further! lol

Well if I get in I'll still be visiting this website for as long as it stays open - Which I imagine as being many years! So all my progress will be well documented!

Just extra nervous about messing up now as I found out last night from somewhere that if you fail to get in, you've got to wait a whole year and half to re-apply! :x

But hopefully it won't come to that! :eek:

angrydoc said:
Here goes:

Ratings:

Ratings Badges

Officers:

Officers Badges

Just realised the Chief Petty Officers' badge isn't the one you'll see - it's a circular thing - I'm sure someone has a link or will describe it better!!!

Cheers Andy, will definitely have a good revise of them from Wednesday on! So you sure it's Okay to address the Officers and other ranks by their proper title from a Civvie's perspective?

Nutty said:
Vertical stripes are slimming checks lagge patterns and horizontal stripes make to look fatter. Do not worry to much about the weight at this point. Of course start to shed it but the weight problem will come when you have a medical and fitness test I assume they will not be at this date.

Stop eating and start training now.

Nutty

Cheers Nutty!

LOL, don't worry I don't eat a lot now!

I was 15 stone not so long back and I've annihilated 3 stone in no time by eating just 2 weetabix and 1 sandwich a day! lol

But as you said I need to start the training as my fitness has gone dire compared to what it was!

How far away will this fitness test be?

I need about 1.5-2 months that's all! So about half way through feb - beginning of march would be a sufficient amount of time!

A

angrydoc

Probably sufficient to call Officers and Warrant Officers "Sir" but anyone else by their rate (ie Chief, PO) ("I work for a living" is the response you'll get if you call a Chief "Sir"!).

If there's an Officer there it'll prob be a Lt, who will hopefully tell you to stop calling him Sir, but prob best to start off on the right foot!

angrydoc said:
Probably sufficient to call Officers and Warrant Officers "Sir" but anyone else by their rate (ie Chief, PO) ("I work for a living" is the response you'll get if you call a Chief "Sir"!).

If there's an Officer there it'll prob be a Lt, who will hopefully tell you to stop calling him Sir, but prob best to start off on the right foot!

Right so how do you address a;

Leading Rate:
Petty Officer:
Chief Petty Officer:
Warrant Officer 2:
Warrant Officer 1:
Midshipman:
Sub-Lt:
Lieutenant:
Lt Commander:
Commander:
Captain:
Commodore:
Rear Admiral:
Vice Admiral:
Admiral:
Admiral of the Fleet:

lol I know most are Sir or Ma'am

But just to clear it up! lol

sweeney

Lantern Swinger
creddly said:
angrydoc said:

Leading Rate:
Petty Officer:
Chief Petty Officer:
Warrant Officer 2:
Warrant Officer 1:
Midshipman:
Sub-Lt:
Lieutenant:
Lt Commander:
Commander:
Captain:
Commodore:
Rear Admiral:
Vice Admiral:
Admiral:
Admiral of the Fleet:

Is this a test? I don't think you'll see all these in the careers office. When I went in through the door in sheffield:

"I wants to join" sez I.

"do this test" sez he.

Job done. I went for me test in a footy shirt (okay it was rotherham who are at the f**king pinnacle of the soccer world), so I really wouldn't get that hung up on it.

creddly said:
angrydoc said:

Leading Rate:
Petty Officer:
Chief Petty Officer:
Warrant Officer 2:
Warrant Officer 1:
Midshipman:
Sub-Lt:
Lieutenant:
Lt Commander:
Commander:
Captain:
Commodore:
Rear Admiral:
Vice Admiral:
Admiral:
Admiral of the Fleet:

Depends on what perspective you are coming from, but would suggest that on your list from WO to the bottom Sir works. If you encounter a leading hand, I would just be polite. Petty officers are POs and Chief Petty officers are Chief.

On the clothes front, please do not listen to those blokes and all their naff advise, if I would you I would wear pink patent leather over the knee stiletto boots, a tutu, a tiara and do put on plenty of sparkly make-up. And do go OTT with the perfume.

A

angrydoc

Leading Rate's the only awkward one - known as Killicks (because the anchor on their badge is called a killick). Their title depends on their branch - Leading Writer, Leading Physical Trainer, Leading Medical Assistant, etc. You won't know their branch, but I always thought it was a bit arsey to call them "Leader" (as in, "Morning Leader!"). Can anyone help out in this predicament?

angrydoc said:
Leading Rate's the only awkward one - known as Killicks (because the anchor on their badge is called a killick). Their title depends on their branch - Leading Writer, Leading Physical Trainer, Leading Medical Assistant, etc. You won't know their branch, but I always thought it was a bit arsey to call them "Leader" (as in, "Morning Leader!"). Can anyone help out in this predicament?

lol would one of them be at the AFCO though?

And thanks Rosina, but I think I'll stick to the Shirt, Shoes, 'Slacks' and Sweater! lol

slim

War Hero
Leading hands are always difficult to address, must be something to do with them holding the most difficult rate in the RN. Subordinates can't go wrong by referring to them as Leading hand, superiors can call them Hooky (unless hooky is in the sh!t and then it should be leading hand)

Right, I'll be getting my shoes first thing tomorrow.

I know what kit to get to make them gleam for the presentation and for future interviews; Black Kiwi Parade Polish, Two Brushes (On and off), a cloth and cotton wool for bulling. I'm even going to get water/weather protection just to go overboard (Told you I'm over-preparing :twisted: )

Question:

Obviously with me getting my shoes tomorrow and my presentation being Friday, there's no time to bull them - But what's the best way I can get them absolutely gleaming for Friday (The day later)?

I had planned - To put on the Kiwi Polish, leave it on over night to dry in and then brush it in about an hour before leaving for the presentation!

Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance! :wink: