Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What shall I wear?

Seadog said:
Shave (face - gender and hormones permitting).

I just wondered why you mentioned face specifically, has the mob changed in some way since my day. (having had a full set since I put my second ring up.

Peter

Seadog said:
No hangover.

I don't drink hardly - Read my other post about boozing, I've given alcohol up completely!

Seadog said:
No comedy socks.

Will be wearing black at all times.

Seadog said:
Polish your shoes.

Will get right on it! Have to buy a new pair first lol!

Seadog said:
No colour clashes with shoes, socks, slacks. Amplifying Maxi 77's advice.

I've decided to wear; black shoes, black trousers, jumper with nice white/striped shirt underneath! That should be Okay shouldn't it?

Seadog said:
Shave (face - gender and hormones permitting).

Male and I grow like a caveman so it'll definitely apply to me! Will have a Mack 3 and shaving gel ready at my disposal!!! lol

Seagod said:
If you know the RN/RM rank /rate of a speaker, use it in conversation. It is never to previous to use 'Sir' for Officers and Warrant Officers.

This is the only thing I can see myself having a problem with! lol!

I know the Army ranks and names off by heart but the Naval counterparts, not a clue! I can't find it anywhere on the website! Perhaps one could help me? :D

Seadog said:
Short hair for blokes is the norm these days but if you are a hippy, a haircut wouldn't go amiss. Neck shave in any case.

Will be going over the morning before the presentation to have a fresh 'chop'! Will go shorter than usual! Definitely not a hippy style! lol

Seadog said:
Don't call people 'people'. It's fine for American COs and TV detectives addressing the men but it isn't British and certainly not naval. (Have I told you this already?)

Never told me! lol!

Although I never call people 'People' in day-to-day life, just on message boards! lol

Seadog said:
You may turn up as a scruff and join up and in 35 years time be an Admiral or you may come in smarter than a Guardsman and retire a 'eight badge' AB but it doesn't harm to make an attempt to impress from civvy side.

LOL no chance of me being an Admiral or anything too high for that matter! I just want to get in! lol!

Well here's to trying peop.... oops, lads rather!!!

Thanks for the advice Seadog!

Very much appreciated!!!

Thanks to everyone else too!

I would be going about this application to the Navy the complete opposite (and definitely wrong) way if I hadn't found this website and you great lads!!!

Thank you :wink:

creddly said:
LOL no chance of me being an Admiral or anything too high for that matter! I just want to get in! lol!

You never know till you try, and if you don't try youll never know, so try.

Good luck

A

angrydoc

Here goes:

Ratings:

Ratings Badges

Officers:

Officers Badges

Just realised the Chief Petty Officers' badge isn't the one you'll see - it's a circular thing - I'm sure someone has a link or will describe it better!!!

Vertical stripes are slimming checks lagge patterns and horizontal stripes make to look fatter. Do not worry to much about the weight at this point. Of course start to shed it but the weight problem will come when you have a medical and fitness test I assume they will not be at this date.

Stop eating and start training now.

Nutty

Maxi_77 said:
creddly said:

You never know till you try, and if you don't try youll never know, so try.

Good luck

Thank you my friend!

Will definitely give it my all anyway!

Effort-wise I should be flawless, but intelligence should hinder my progress!

I'm confident that I'm clever enough to get in and pass the test and maybe make it up a rank or two from a rating, if I'm lucky and give it my all for many years but definitely no further! lol

Well if I get in I'll still be visiting this website for as long as it stays open - Which I imagine as being many years! So all my progress will be well documented!

Just extra nervous about messing up now as I found out last night from somewhere that if you fail to get in, you've got to wait a whole year and half to re-apply! :x

But hopefully it won't come to that! :eek:

angrydoc said:
Here goes:

Ratings:

Ratings Badges

Officers:

Officers Badges

Just realised the Chief Petty Officers' badge isn't the one you'll see - it's a circular thing - I'm sure someone has a link or will describe it better!!!

Cheers Andy, will definitely have a good revise of them from Wednesday on! So you sure it's Okay to address the Officers and other ranks by their proper title from a Civvie's perspective?

Nutty said:
Vertical stripes are slimming checks lagge patterns and horizontal stripes make to look fatter. Do not worry to much about the weight at this point. Of course start to shed it but the weight problem will come when you have a medical and fitness test I assume they will not be at this date.

Stop eating and start training now.

Nutty

Cheers Nutty!

LOL, don't worry I don't eat a lot now!

I was 15 stone not so long back and I've annihilated 3 stone in no time by eating just 2 weetabix and 1 sandwich a day! lol

But as you said I need to start the training as my fitness has gone dire compared to what it was!

How far away will this fitness test be?

I need about 1.5-2 months that's all! So about half way through feb - beginning of march would be a sufficient amount of time!

A

angrydoc

Probably sufficient to call Officers and Warrant Officers "Sir" but anyone else by their rate (ie Chief, PO) ("I work for a living" is the response you'll get if you call a Chief "Sir"!).

If there's an Officer there it'll prob be a Lt, who will hopefully tell you to stop calling him Sir, but prob best to start off on the right foot!

angrydoc said:
Probably sufficient to call Officers and Warrant Officers "Sir" but anyone else by their rate (ie Chief, PO) ("I work for a living" is the response you'll get if you call a Chief "Sir"!).

If there's an Officer there it'll prob be a Lt, who will hopefully tell you to stop calling him Sir, but prob best to start off on the right foot!

Right so how do you address a;

Leading Rate:
Petty Officer:
Chief Petty Officer:
Warrant Officer 2:
Warrant Officer 1:
Midshipman:
Sub-Lt:
Lieutenant:
Lt Commander:
Commander:
Captain:
Commodore:
Rear Admiral:
Vice Admiral:
Admiral:
Admiral of the Fleet:

lol I know most are Sir or Ma'am

But just to clear it up! lol

sweeney

Lantern Swinger
creddly said:
angrydoc said:

Leading Rate:
Petty Officer:
Chief Petty Officer:
Warrant Officer 2:
Warrant Officer 1:
Midshipman:
Sub-Lt:
Lieutenant:
Lt Commander:
Commander:
Captain:
Commodore:
Rear Admiral:
Vice Admiral:
Admiral:
Admiral of the Fleet:

Is this a test? I don't think you'll see all these in the careers office. When I went in through the door in sheffield:

"I wants to join" sez I.

"do this test" sez he.

Job done. I went for me test in a footy shirt (okay it was rotherham who are at the f**king pinnacle of the soccer world), so I really wouldn't get that hung up on it.

creddly said:
angrydoc said:

Leading Rate:
Petty Officer:
Chief Petty Officer:
Warrant Officer 2:
Warrant Officer 1:
Midshipman:
Sub-Lt:
Lieutenant:
Lt Commander:
Commander:
Captain:
Commodore:
Rear Admiral:
Vice Admiral:
Admiral:
Admiral of the Fleet:

Depends on what perspective you are coming from, but would suggest that on your list from WO to the bottom Sir works. If you encounter a leading hand, I would just be polite. Petty officers are POs and Chief Petty officers are Chief.

On the clothes front, please do not listen to those blokes and all their naff advise, if I would you I would wear pink patent leather over the knee stiletto boots, a tutu, a tiara and do put on plenty of sparkly make-up. And do go OTT with the perfume.

A

angrydoc

Leading Rate's the only awkward one - known as Killicks (because the anchor on their badge is called a killick). Their title depends on their branch - Leading Writer, Leading Physical Trainer, Leading Medical Assistant, etc. You won't know their branch, but I always thought it was a bit arsey to call them "Leader" (as in, "Morning Leader!"). Can anyone help out in this predicament?

angrydoc said:
Leading Rate's the only awkward one - known as Killicks (because the anchor on their badge is called a killick). Their title depends on their branch - Leading Writer, Leading Physical Trainer, Leading Medical Assistant, etc. You won't know their branch, but I always thought it was a bit arsey to call them "Leader" (as in, "Morning Leader!"). Can anyone help out in this predicament?

lol would one of them be at the AFCO though?

And thanks Rosina, but I think I'll stick to the Shirt, Shoes, 'Slacks' and Sweater! lol

slim

War Hero
Leading hands are always difficult to address, must be something to do with them holding the most difficult rate in the RN. Subordinates can't go wrong by referring to them as Leading hand, superiors can call them Hooky (unless hooky is in the sh!t and then it should be leading hand)

Right, I'll be getting my shoes first thing tomorrow.

I know what kit to get to make them gleam for the presentation and for future interviews; Black Kiwi Parade Polish, Two Brushes (On and off), a cloth and cotton wool for bulling. I'm even going to get water/weather protection just to go overboard (Told you I'm over-preparing :twisted: )

Question:

Obviously with me getting my shoes tomorrow and my presentation being Friday, there's no time to bull them - But what's the best way I can get them absolutely gleaming for Friday (The day later)?

I had planned - To put on the Kiwi Polish, leave it on over night to dry in and then brush it in about an hour before leaving for the presentation!

Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance! :wink:

matlo_caroline

Lantern Swinger
Instant Shine it looks like a mous Kiwi instant shine i use it to brush up shoes just before parade and always get comments how do you get them so shiny.

matlo_caroline

Lantern Swinger
I wear a skirt below my knee a white blouse or pale blue and a blue jacket and small navy blue court shoes with a navy blue handbag they also comment i look smart.

andym

War Hero
angrydoc said:

I would have thought "yes,Leading Hand!" etc etc would suffice.

caterer

Midshipman
how about Yes Leader what time does the fridge open? So as I can buy you a can or two.. Ok maybe not - Just be yourself no need to suck up, your not in the mob yet! I don't remember having anybody needing me to know there ranks before I joined up - Handy to know once you start your training however.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I What Badge shall I wear Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 10
SONAR-BENDER What shall we do with the drunken sailor? Pay a million. Diamond Lil's 66
soleil Telegraph: "They Shall Not Grow Old: Restorers Honour The Dead Of Dud Corner" History 2
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Which iron shall I ... Diamond Lil's 4
WhizzbangDai We shall all be killed to death if we go into the woods... The Quarterdeck 7
N Shall we Legalise All Drugs. Current Affairs 57
N "What shall we do with a drunken Sailor" Censor him Current Affairs 28
S shall i swap over to subs???????? Submariners 24
silverfox Nice one Tony, now what shall we do.....?? Current Affairs 21
dondon Bruce Springsteen[we shall overcome]the seeger sessions Diamond Lil's 1
Vesper Who shall we invade next? The Quarterdeck 19
B Can I wear athletic tape during Royal Marine Commando training ? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS British Embassy Warsaw staff wear pride-themed masks to mark IDAHOBIT MoD News 0
MoD_RSS North-east rail revolution begins with Beeching reversal and fund for new trains across Tyne and Wear MoD News 0
MoD_RSS If you’re going out to scare, know what to wear MoD News 0
mayabear Formal Interview ; what to wear? (Female) Joining the Royal Navy 8
Sgt Jobsearch Plant Trainer - Tyne & Wear - £Competitive The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BFRS 3 Week Multi Trade Skills – Tyne and Wear The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Project Engineer - Tyne & Wear - £28,000 + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch General Manager - Tyne & Wear - £55,000 - £65,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Technical Author - Tyne & Wear - £28,000 starting salary The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Engineering Technician (North East) - Tyne & Wear - £24,000 + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Electrical Instrumentation Technician - Tyne & Wear - £28,000 + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
R Been told i can attest at Flying fox what to wear? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
Sgt Jobsearch Wireless Network Engineer - Tyne & Wear - £Negotiable + Benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob Wireless Network Engineer - Tyne & Wear The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
2_deck_dash Multiple adquals - how do you wear the badges? UPO 16
D Can you wear dolphins upon return to general service? Submariners 37
K Quick Question - What color trousers/shirts to wear at PRNC? Diamond Lil's 22
soleil Sky Tyne And Wear: "Royal Navy Streets Ahead In Heritage quest" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
DemobJob Pre Military Tutor - Tyne & Wear The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil Sky Tyne & Wear: "Public Invited Aboard Newcastle Affiliated Warship HMS Dauntless" The Fleet 5
soleil Herald: "MP Has No Right To Wear Marine Tie" The Corps 13
J What are you meant to wear for PRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
D Why cant the RFA all wear the same uniform? RFA 9
T Victory! You will be able to wear your PJM Current Affairs 25
I Can I wear my Dolphins? Submariners 13
N can you wear knee supports whilst doing basic training ? Sports and Adventure Training 3
R What did you wear to your Recruitment tests? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
T What medals does HM The Queen wear The Quarterdeck 24
B Wear a suit to the RT? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
R What to wear! The Corps 31
R Bobbies Ordered Not to Wear Union Flag Badges Current Affairs 19
M What to wear interview and pre joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
P 26 Jun - wear your uniform to work day Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 40
F What to wear to Acquaint course? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
RoboScorpion Question: What did WWII Royal Navy engine room crew wear? History 10
Good_CO Wear Your Virtual Poppy Site Issues 6
N POLL Should the RN Wear CS95's (where and when) Diamond Lil's 53
E what to wear for interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23