What price security?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by jaybee48, Oct 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been following a few threads on here lately, and I've been well and truly gobsmacked by the enormous cost of some of the hardware that we use to keep up our defence capability - like the RAF Typhoon for instance.
    I've served on a type 15, a type 41 and a Leander in my time, and somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember the cost of a 'new' Leander - the Juno as I recall - costing £3.5M back in 1969.
    Anyone any ideas on how much we're paying for up-to-date ships and weapons sytems these days?
    JB.

2. Cost is all relative - HMS Victory when she was built in 1765, cost £63,176.

According to the RN National Museum web page this would be equivalent to the cost of building an aircraft carrier today. HMS-Victory - Home

3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

You should multiply the cost of Juno by about 30 to give real world comparisons. Also she was in series production, meaning some parts were cheaper as bought in bulk, and was made to a relatively simple design, that was no particularly sophisticated - arguably just a relatively modernised WW2 frigate in scope with hangar and small ops room and a man aimed missile.

4. Well thanks for the info, chaps - no wonder the country's in the s**t for money at those prices - fair brought a tear to me eye, that did!
    Tellyerwhat, when I left Sol council the budget for the Borough was £248.23M for 209,000 people - so what you're saying is I might get half a ship for that sort of money?
    Jeeezus H Christ!
    JB.

5. And have you seen the price of coffee?

6. I haven't M8, don't drink the stuff. Tea, beer or Scotch for me these days, although I have been known to whip up a mug of something very close to Kye during the winter months.
    Two big spoons of Cadbury's DC, a big spoon of sugar and top up with boiling full cream milk - goes down a treat!
    JB.