What personal possessions am I allowed

DracoKrys

Midshipman
I am interested in joining the Submarine Service and I was interested in what I can/cannot/should take with me. I want to know so I know what to buy/not buy or leave home. I hear that personal electronics are generally not allowed, but if I'm a chef, could I bring my own knives for example? What's illegal apart from the obvious such as drugs. What will I be given as part of my kit and is there anything I have to buy?

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
@DracoKrys You will be given a kit list of what you need / should bring during your application around PRNC time.
During PRNC you can ask questions like you have here as there is a Submarine Service Q&A part to PRNC and they will answer all you have to fire at them - if you want to know earlier and your AFCO has a Sub guru in the office you can ask your AFCO - I would leave this to the Subs Q&A section of PRNC though.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Personal Electronic Devices (PEDS) are everywhere. You can have what you want, within reason - all you got to do is stick to the regulations as to where and when you can use them.....as for carting around a load of knives, chefs or otherwise that'll be a no in my opinion.
Best of luck in whatever walk of RN life you go for.

Billy (20 years+ under the sea)

And all I had was a CD Walkman.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Apart from first getting into the RN, passing all the entry pre requisites, volunteering to go submariner, passing all that malarkey, joining a genuine submarine, being presented with a Task Book and getting sent forward to aft every day for weeks, plus doing your own job, or learning even more about it whilst shutting off for attack or getting on your bunk only to have to get off it again because some inconsiderate bastard is yelling Emergency Stations at the top of their lungs and then realising there's no decent broadband signal 900 feet down and you're too nackered to have a go at Level 99 on Super Mario anyway.

What was the question?

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Do you need knives when knocking up toast on defence watches?
If you want a bespoke set of knives, the best ones are usually endorsed by someone famous. My personal recommendation are the "James Blunt army kitchen knife collection". No self respecting future Michelin Star chef should leave home without a set of Blunt knives.

Waspie

War Hero
I am interested in joining the Submarine Service and I was interested in what I can/cannot/should take with me. I want to know so I know what to buy/not buy or leave home. I hear that personal electronics are generally not allowed, but if I'm a chef, could I bring my own knives for example? What's illegal apart from the obvious such as drugs. What will I be given as part of my kit and is there anything I have to buy?
You have to get mummy and daddy's permission first and as you have a nationality problem your jumping the gun somewhat!
Then as a 15 year old, don't you think your getting way ahead of yourself.
Cross individual bridges to which if your tale is to believed, are many.
Joining - biggest hurdle.
Basic training
Then trade training.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Adult personal social services: revenue funding 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Kenya: call for bids for personal protective equipment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guidance published for Small-Scale Manufacturers of COVID-19 Personal Protective Equipment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS LLWR makes second donation of personal protective equipment to fight COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New personal protective equipment (PPE) guidance for NHS teams MoD News 0
MoD_RSS French personal travel waiver certificate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 100,000 more people to be given personal health budgets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Confronting cyber threats to businesses and personal data MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Personal Injury Discount Rate in Scotland – Government Actuary’s report MoD News 0
B Concerns about Personal Political Opinions Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Government to consult on reducing personal water consumption MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The ‘Personal Injury Discount Rate’ – the Government Actuary’s advice to the Lord Chancellor MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Chancellor announces new discount rate for personal injury claims MoD News 0
P POV Personal Liability Insurance Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Press release: 'Designing out' cyber threats to businesses and personal data MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Universal Credit: personal welfare MoD News 0
G Personal Pension Finance & Pensions 5
MoD_RSS News story: Updating personal details whilst an application is in progress MoD News 0
C Can't edit personal details on Navy application form. Joining the Royal Navy 1
M Personal first aid kit list? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
TheMau5e Personal Statement and CV Joining the Royal Navy 13
B 17 year old wanting to be a personal logistician Joining the Royal Navy 6
DemobJob ** PERSONAL ASSISTANT NEEDED - BRISTOL - £100 per day ** The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
M Personal belongings on ship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
J At a loss - please help... looking for Navy personal in Norfolk... Nearest & Dearest 4
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Trainee Personal trainer/ Fitness Instructor The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
ForcesJobShop Personal Fitness Instructor The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
E Personal Preference on Ship Type Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Trainee Personal trainer/ Fitness Instructor The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
ForcesJobShop Personal trainer vacancy The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
C Personal Development Course at Ghyll Head Queries Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: Personal Assistant The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
ForcesJobShop Employment Opportunity: PERSONAL TRAINER VACANCY The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil "RMs Donate Personal Objects From Afghanistan For Imperial War Museum Display" The Corps 0
B Joined a gym getting a personal plan, little help please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
sgtpepperband Personal Information Protection Toolkit The Quarterdeck 1
firstascent Personal transport for newbies Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
JonnoJonno Personal Security Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
InvestorX Thread is going nowhere - turning into personal attacks The Corps 8
D Personal Referees Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
D Newbie advice please- taking personal kit to basic? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
F Govt loses MORE personal computer details...... Muppets Current Affairs 9
brazenhussy Census form gets personal Current Affairs 6
electric_chef Personal history Submariners 3
ali_p Jennys personal website for active matelots and plebs: Diamond Lil's 26
MoD_RSS Rental e-scooter trials to be allowed from this weekend MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SQPs temporarily allowed to prescribe and authorise supply of veterinary medicines remotely MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Win for British farm as cabbages allowed into Malaysia MoD News 0