What personal possessions am I allowed

I am interested in joining the Submarine Service and I was interested in what I can/cannot/should take with me. I want to know so I know what to buy/not buy or leave home. I hear that personal electronics are generally not allowed, but if I'm a chef, could I bring my own knives for example? What's illegal apart from the obvious such as drugs. What will I be given as part of my kit and is there anything I have to buy?

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
@DracoKrys You will be given a kit list of what you need / should bring during your application around PRNC time.
During PRNC you can ask questions like you have here as there is a Submarine Service Q&A part to PRNC and they will answer all you have to fire at them - if you want to know earlier and your AFCO has a Sub guru in the office you can ask your AFCO - I would leave this to the Subs Q&A section of PRNC though.

Personal Electronic Devices (PEDS) are everywhere. You can have what you want, within reason - all you got to do is stick to the regulations as to where and when you can use them.....as for carting around a load of knives, chefs or otherwise that'll be a no in my opinion.
Best of luck in whatever walk of RN life you go for.

Billy (20 years+ under the sea)

And all I had was a CD Walkman.

Apart from first getting into the RN, passing all the entry pre requisites, volunteering to go submariner, passing all that malarkey, joining a genuine submarine, being presented with a Task Book and getting sent forward to aft every day for weeks, plus doing your own job, or learning even more about it whilst shutting off for attack or getting on your bunk only to have to get off it again because some inconsiderate bastard is yelling Emergency Stations at the top of their lungs and then realising there's no decent broadband signal 900 feet down and you're too nackered to have a go at Level 99 on Super Mario anyway.

What was the question?

Do you need knives when knocking up toast on defence watches?
If you want a bespoke set of knives, the best ones are usually endorsed by someone famous. My personal recommendation are the "James Blunt army kitchen knife collection". No self respecting future Michelin Star chef should leave home without a set of Blunt knives.

I am interested in joining the Submarine Service and I was interested in what I can/cannot/should take with me. I want to know so I know what to buy/not buy or leave home. I hear that personal electronics are generally not allowed, but if I'm a chef, could I bring my own knives for example? What's illegal apart from the obvious such as drugs. What will I be given as part of my kit and is there anything I have to buy?
You have to get mummy and daddy's permission first and as you have a nationality problem your jumping the gun somewhat!
Then as a 15 year old, don't you think your getting way ahead of yourself.
Cross individual bridges to which if your tale is to believed, are many.
Joining - biggest hurdle.
Basic training
Then trade training.

Last edited:

Latest Threads