What penknife?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MotleyBlue, Mar 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone, I have been browsing these forums or a while and I expect I will take a bit of a beating for asking such a question but here goes.

Got my kit list for Dartmouth in May and on the suggested kit it says penknife. Now I don’t want to turn up with a huge Rambo style knife and look like a tool, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to what would be a good penknife to take there?

Does it need to be a mutli-tool or would a good quality and not enormous bushcraft/hunting knife be acceptable? I only ask because I already own these and I would like to limit expenditure to as little as possible.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Couldn't resist.

3. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Try this one out,

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Must....show....restraint...

• Like Like x 3
  5. Thats the one right there! Ill go for the tanto blade if you can provide a whale tooth version with a nice bit of naval scrimshaw!

6. The one that comes with a free iron is best

• Like Like x 1
  7. Just as long as it fits in your suitcase

8. Surely as Midshipman he'll get issued with his own dirk.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fixed that for you, no charge.

10. You mean you don't have to take your own dick with you?

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  12. Well you see Ninja I have the kit list and it says Penknife, now a pen knife according to Google (Shockingly enough I had tried searching for a definition prior to bleating on here) doesn't mean a multi-tool but I wondered if me turning up with a fixed blade full tang hunting knife would be a bad idea and whether or not I should invest in one of those new-fangled multi-tools and IF I should would the kind people of Navy Net have any suggestions as to what is a good but reasonably priced one? I was hoping that personal experience from people in the same field would trump Google in this instance. Alas, it appears I am mistaken.

13. Have a look on Amazon, Gerber make excellent tools.

14. Midshipmen should only be trusted with something like this:
    52CM-rabbit-dodges-the-laser-scalpel-3-lamps-Toy-knife-sword.jpg

15. Just wait til you are in and rob one of these from stores:

[​IMG]

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It would seem so :frown:

Those who are clever enough to pass AIB, bright enough to know a penknife is not a multi-tool or a fixed blade knife will hopefully be able to calculate that if the list says "penknife", it probably means penknife.

After all, we don't wan't you hurting yourself (too much) or worse still, damaging government property.

17. I thought the only pointy things Middies were allowed were made by Crayola!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ok ninja stoker well as the Kit list says two sports bras and I want to take everything as it says do you know if black ones are all right coz as a guy I’d prefer that?

To be honest I just wanted a consensus as to what constitutes a "penknife" and I am happy that a folding blade is a pre-requisite now!

Chaz they are brilliant I’ll go for the first one in Manchester City colours I think!

Gerber do look good and reasonable thank you, although I think turning up with a Bear Grylls one would be worse than Chaz's glowing bunny sabre idea!

19. Only if you want to be a Marine!

• Like Like x 1
  20. I expect if I did try to join the marines and they saw my Bear Grylls knife theyd put me straight in the SBS!