What other career opportunities and prospects exist after time spent as an RM Officer

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by TPHoldsworth, Jan 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm at that stage where I'm beginning to think about my future,becoming a Royal Marines Officer is something which is largely appealing to me, however I do recognise that it's something I would want to go into on a relatively short term basis (<10). I'd like to know some more details about the application process;What degrees are desirable to have? I'm currently studying applied sport science at a reputable uni which i've been told will be a good basis, Aptitude tests, fitness requirements and any thing which I can do to get a better insight into life in the marines?

what other opportunities exist after life as a royal marines officer, i'm interested especially in deep sea diving for petrochemical companies, which i've been told a little bit about from an ex royal?I'd also like to know any details you can give me about day to day life in the marines and your ability to build a life around the job, Is there enough free time to build a succesful social and family life etc. Any advice especially that given by those who have spent time in the marines or are in service now would be greatly appreciated, I know this question goes off on loads of different tangents but any inside information and experience would really help!

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

2. You don't want much then do you. Oh dear. Why don't you start with "what can you bring to the Corps" and not what you can get out of it. Look on the RN website, visit an AFCO on ring the RN Helpline. If you are officer material, start showing some more initiative.

3. This was a first port of call, thanks anyway.

4. Won't going for MCD be better than marines considering you want to be a diver when you leave? A mate of mine an ex royal now works on the rigs out in Africa as an health and safety inspector and another works on the rigs as an welder. I don't know the ins and outs of getting employment on the rigs but you will be surprised where ex royals end up, I guess its down to you.

5. what other opportunities exist after life as a royal marines officer, i'm interested especially in deep sea diving for petrochemical companies, which i've been told a little bit about from an ex royal?

By the sound of it you don't know what you want to do or why, Joining the Corps is not a way of getting from point A en-route to point B, If your main ambition is to become a commercial diver then I'd suggest you start now as the working life of a diver isn't that long. IIRC.

I'd also like to know any details you can give me about day to day life in the marines and your ability to build a life around the job, Is there enough free time to build a succesful social and family life etc. Any advice especially that given by those who have spent time in the marines or are in service now would be greatly appreciated, I know this question goes off on loads of different tangents but any inside information and experience would really help!

You can build a social life in the Corps but it depends on what you mean by it, spending time back at home or out on the town? Lot's of guys have families while in the Corps but they tend to happen later on in your career.

6. You find being an RM Officer "appealing" yet you're thinking about the future (which is apparently only <10 years) and want to be a career diver and build a lifestyle and business interests outside the Corps at the same time?

You really haven't though this through at all. Even if this is your first "port of call" your thought process is significantly flawed.

You need to sort out what you really want to do, not just what appeals to you. Being made a Peer appeals to me, but the reality of the situation is that it's unlikely to happen. If you want to be a diver, be a diver.

Think it through, go to an AFCO.

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Thank fcuk I never had a mong like this as a troop occifer.

Hey, us lower ranks are here to help you live your little dream.:knob::cyclopsani:

8. What a belmer. May I suggest that the forces are not for you chap? Try the reserves if you simply want ammo for your cv.

The RAF reserves.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Individuals understandably want to know what transferable skills they may gain from a service career and few of us would actually undertake a job without a wage. However, all too often there are those that "don't quite get it" initially, which again is part of life's learning curve in the jobs market.

No-one is going to become wealthy earning an Armed Forces wage, however there are lucrative civilian careers paths which the services can help map - if realistic goals are set.

The danger, as seen many times, is people come to the services jobs market, think it's a supermarket and try to select from the "Finest Range". Often people clump the best bits from separate jobs together then somehow hope their employer will overlook the fact it's a job & permit them to help themselves. This is probably why we come across the traditional "Commando Pilot Diver Officer" aspirant who wouldn't mind a dabble in SF, sniping & perhaps a stint in general surgery prior to setting up their own business.

In reality only William, Harry & their forefathers tend to be successful in this particular area of cherry-picking - it's good for mutual PR, apparently. Causes bloody havoc at AFCO level though.

For an insight as to what's required to step onto the very first rung of the very long career ladder, the following may help put things into perspective: Videos posted by Royal Marines: Royal Marines Officer Captain Nick Hill answers your questions [HQ] | Facebook

Best of luck.