what of class of ship is it help

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by heligan, Dec 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What classifies a ship as either a Destroyer or a Frigate? From looking on the internet it seems to be governed by the total tonnage of the vessel and what its weapons loads out is focused on, but what I have been unable to find is if there is any agree world standards or does it vary from navy to navy ?

Anyone able to point me in the right direction ??

2. My current understanding is that the Royal Navy uses Frigates primarily in an Anti-Submarine Warfare role, whilst Destroyers are used primarily for Anti-Air Warfare role.

In terms of weight, well the Type 22 Batch Three Frigates weigh more than the Batch 1 and 2 Type 45 Destroyers.

Thats just in the RN, and my very basic understanding.

3. you are right:

Frigate = ASW

Destroyer = AAW

4. During the 70s we asked similar questions.

Destroyers seemed to become Frigates, and Cruisers became Destroyers (GMD as we knew them, later called DLGs ?) - as for the rationale of this, it was probably something to do with costs/cutbacks etc (the usual claptrap that the government pollies use).

I can't recall that tonnage was ever mentioned in the renaming...

:)

5. Many moons ago, it was thought that new build ships were purposely named to a lower capability to confuse the treasure-holding politicians, in case they voted against the build.
    Hence GMD's.....about the tonnage of a light cruiser
    Through-Deck Cruisers......Light Aircraft Carriers

and so on........ :biggrin:

6. Destroyers have D on the side
    Frigates have F on the side

Never fails!

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer