What Nationality.

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by onions, Jan 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had to visit the local constabulary this morning, to give a statement , about a road rage incident I was involved in. As the interviewer was filling in the interview form he informed me that I was a White European. I said "No, I am White British". He told me he couldn't put that down. So I said "OK, I'm White English". "Can't put that either, you ARE a White European", he replied.

So that begs the question, as Europe is a continent and the dictionary version of the word states, "one of the larger divisions of unbroken land, esp. the mainland of Europe", when did England cease to exist, remembering we still field English teams on world sports scene. When did it become an offence to say you are British?

2. Onions my friend, I've been trying to get this across for yonks!
    It is Scotland, Ireland, Wales and the other regions of Britain, according to the EU.
    Get us out of the corrupt EU soonest.
    RoofRat
    BTW you could have refused to sign that statement if you thought it was filled in incorrectly :wink:

3. I love europe, its a nice place to visit ;)

4. RR, agree with leaving EU.

Having been at the station for two and a half hours the copper who interviewed me manage to fill out four sheets of paper. I showed him a statement that I had written on a single sheet. He later complained about the amount of paper work he had to do!!

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum.

5. I’m English and proud of it!!!!
    So the pc brigade can stick it where they like.

6. Whoever took your statement is wrong.

I'm old bill in my normal job - there are two issues, one is a list of 7 categories that the Police use for quick identity, the other is the government 16+1 list for "self defined ethnicity"

One of those for self defined is W1 - WHITE/BRITISH

If you want to prove him wrong (and P!ss him off) see appedix 2 at bottom of http://www.mpa.gov.uk/committees/eodb/2003/030313/06.htm

Just out of interest was the interviewer a cop or a member of "police staff" which we are not allowed to call "civvies" !!!

7. its all just a way of trying to integrate us into europe.
    if we are forced to call ourselves white european on official forms, we are more likely to accept europe more....like the euro.

the pound is fine for me, and if it aint broke dont fix it.

8. European is an ethic description rather than a national description. I think it is therefore fair enough. As a Channel Islander, I personally am fed up of being mistaken for English, so I know the feeling to a certain extent!

9. Why?
    Channel Island isn't a nationality, English IS.
    What nationality are you then seeing as channel island isn't actually a country.

10. Norman or of Normandy

11. Not a nationality because that isn't a sovereign state.

12. Onions, I empathise with you entirley.

Try sticking to stating that you are "white & Welsh"???

see how far that gets you son?

you'd get further stating you were a black sheep!

13. I put down "white British" on my application form when I joined up, but the recruiting office told me to change it to say "white Scottish" !!! Because, according to the CPO in the office, it's "the ethnics who use the term 'British'".

I regard myself as British first and Scottish second (yes I was born a Scot) - not many folk like that up here.

14. Was the copper asking you for your nationality or your ethnicity?

"The United Kingdom is an internationally recognised sovereign state, which is also referred to as a country and whose inhabitants have British nationality. It is however traditionally divided into four home nations - England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Three of these are not sovereign states, but Ireland is now divided into the sovereign Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland, which remains part of the United Kingdom. The current status, in any case, is controversial and disputed, since there are secessionist movements in Scotland and Wales, and for example, Cornwall is considered by some to be a separate nation, within the country of England. Usage of the term nation is not only ambiguous, it is also the subject of political disputes, which may be extremely violent."

As White European is not a nationality, we must assume that the copper was asking for your ethnicity. As I assume you are white, then white european is a valid description of a white person living in any of the islands normally associated with the european continent, be they from London, Dublin or Limasol.
    So, England still does exist, its not an offence to say so so you don't have to worry.
    Do you get involved in "road rage"incidents often?

15. Lamri, I think you will find that England is not sovereign either, as it is part of the United Kingdom. Your argument doesn't stack up.

I also think that it is a bit late to pull the drawbridge up on Europe. We are in it, best to make the most of it.

16. Erm, last I looked, England WAS a sovereign state Phil, unlike Normandy. Yes England is part of GB but only in the same way as the other nation signatores. :)

Although I think you're probably right vis-a-vis europe, I, and many like minded people, don't see myself as part of Europe. Maybe its the "island state" mentality. I've got nothing against Europe in itself but, like I said in my first post, I see it as a place to visit, nothing more. (Maybe i'm in denial!!)

17. British by birth,
    Scottish by the grace of God...

18. Widy G, he had dark Blue shoulder tabs with 82 on them. So I take it that he was "Civilian Police Staff"!

Clanky, This was my first and hopefully my last!

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum.l

19. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Griff, surely more people would state they were a black sheep than admit they were White and Welsh? :lol:

20. I am English , born in England , every time I have to fill in those bloody forms I make a point of crossing out White British and putting in White English ,

English always ,
    British second ,
    European no no no , :twisted: :twisted: