What Nationality.

onions

GCM
I had to visit the local constabulary this morning, to give a statement , about a road rage incident I was involved in. As the interviewer was filling in the interview form he informed me that I was a White European. I said "No, I am White British". He told me he couldn't put that down. So I said "OK, I'm White English". "Can't put that either, you ARE a White European", he replied.

So that begs the question, as Europe is a continent and the dictionary version of the word states, "one of the larger divisions of unbroken land, esp. the mainland of Europe", when did England cease to exist, remembering we still field English teams on world sports scene. When did it become an offence to say you are British?

RoofRat

War Hero
Onions my friend, I've been trying to get this across for yonks!
It is Scotland, Ireland, Wales and the other regions of Britain, according to the EU.
Get us out of the corrupt EU soonest.
RoofRat
BTW you could have refused to sign that statement if you thought it was filled in incorrectly :wink:

onions

GCM
RoofRat said:
Onions my friend, I've been trying to get this across for yonks!
It is Scotland, Ireland, Wales and the other regions of Britain, according to the EU.
Get us out of the corrupt EU soonest.
RoofRat
BTW you could have refused to sign that statement if you thought it was filled in incorrectly :wink:

RR, agree with leaving EU.

Having been at the station for two and a half hours the copper who interviewed me manage to fill out four sheets of paper. I showed him a statement that I had written on a single sheet. He later complained about the amount of paper work he had to do!!

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum.

Whoever took your statement is wrong.

I'm old bill in my normal job - there are two issues, one is a list of 7 categories that the Police use for quick identity, the other is the government 16+1 list for "self defined ethnicity"

One of those for self defined is W1 - WHITE/BRITISH

If you want to prove him wrong (and P!ss him off) see appedix 2 at bottom of http://www.mpa.gov.uk/committees/eodb/2003/030313/06.htm

Just out of interest was the interviewer a cop or a member of "police staff" which we are not allowed to call "civvies" !!!

chris

Midshipman
its all just a way of trying to integrate us into europe.
if we are forced to call ourselves white european on official forms, we are more likely to accept europe more....like the euro.

the pound is fine for me, and if it aint broke dont fix it.

European is an ethic description rather than a national description. I think it is therefore fair enough. As a Channel Islander, I personally am fed up of being mistaken for English, so I know the feeling to a certain extent!

phil1972 said:
European is an ethic description rather than a national description. I think it is therefore fair enough. As a Channel Islander, I personally am fed up of being mistaken for English, so I know the feeling to a certain extent!

Why?
Channel Island isn't a nationality, English IS.
What nationality are you then seeing as channel island isn't actually a country.

Gruff

Midshipman
Onions, I empathise with you entirley.

Try sticking to stating that you are "white & Welsh"???

see how far that gets you son?

you'd get further stating you were a black sheep!