What makes you stay in the RNR

trehorn

War Hero
firefawkes said:
This has got to be one of the most welcome and most overdue threads! BZ itsamuppet!

I have only just joined the RNR and all the reasons listed above are both inspirational and aspirational! IMHO there can be no better recruiting tool than hearing about the positive experiences of those already serving, whether they are big, shared events like phil1972’s experience at Ypres, quite moments like FlagWagger’s memory of ‘seeing the night sky from a warship at sea’ or, like Rosie, meeting someone who will be a genuine friend for life.

All too often (and especially on RR :wink:) it can appear that the entire RNR is constantly dripping (and believe me, even in my short involvement I understand the very real and valid reasons for a lot of the complaints!!), but it’s truly heartening to know that underneath it all, you each have your own proud moments, special experiences, happy memories and enduring friendships that make it all worthwhile.

As I embark upon my new naval career, albeit part-time, I hope that it won’t be too long before I can add my own list to this thread. :)

I have been in the RNR for nearly 6 years. I've been aborad on ORT and I've been in the UK on ORT. I drip, complain, winge and drip some more. But i couldn't leave, it'd feel like someone had cut my arm off. I get cold turkey if i dont have a weekend for a few weeks.

Its hard to explain to the newcomer why we do it. They see what we get to do and seem keen to do it, unfortunatley very few of them have the patience to stick around long enough to enjoy the bits that are worth doing. Gone are the days when you could join as a new entry and then attend weekends as soon as you have your No4's. They're even restricting ships visits for new entries on the grounds of "lack of security clearance". Little things like that might just convince some of the new entries to stick around long enough to experience the experiences, enjoyment and pride that we do.

WarMonger

War Hero
Been doing it now for 14 years....can honestly say that if I went back 14 years I doubt I would be able to recognise myself...(and yes I am a better person before anyone mentions otherwise), a large percentage of that is what the RNR has brought to me..!through the people,..the training..the trips...the laughs and also the shit and believe in 14 years there has been some of that as well!!

But I wouldnt change any day of it..!!

Smudge_3/06

Midshipman
trehorn said:
Gone are the days when you could join as a new entry and then attend weekends as soon as you have your No4's. They're even restricting ships visits for new entries on the grounds of "lack of security clearance". Little things like that might just convince some of the new entries to stick around long enough to experience the experiences, enjoyment and pride that we do.

NEs are allowed to go on weekends as soon as they get their 4s. Ive been in for less than 2 months and i've already been on a couple weekends , and I've got two more booked.

But if that ever does happen, or has happened, to other classes. I get what you're saying. I understand better than anyone that sitting through the lectures can be really boring. Especially in my case when we've had a slow start with JPA, ComMarRes, drugs team and whatnot. However I've found that its going away and meeting other people from other units thats the best. It's realising that the RNR doesn't stop at your class, division or unit. We're not even confined to the RNR, there's the regulars as well in our team.

In my short period of time so far in the RNR Ive already worked out that my oppos will become some of my best friends. So if anyone is reading this while thinking of joining the RNR or even the RN, Do so. And whoever said the more you put in, the more you get out, you're right. The last 7 weeks have been the best of my life so far.

Been up in a SAR Seaking at HMS Gannet and flew over Butlins!

Also Remembrance Parades make me so proud, marching through various towns and cities in my 1s. Met Prince Charles at RNR100 in Horse Guards VIP tent.. Been to Chile on a two wk exercise and met wonderful people, and I'm fitter than I've ever been! :lol:

Dangermouse

Badgeman
Don't want to take the wind out of you sails MC my old mate, but either your dates or your maths are wrong!

If you joined in Feb 82, you would have been in for 24 years 8 months.
If you have been in 26 years it must have been a different year you joined.

Was there a big group of ships sailing to the south atlantic a couple of months after you joined?

DM :wink:

(RN 18yr 5m; RNR 4yr 5m)

Latest Threads