What makes you stay in the RNR

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by itsamuppet, Oct 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Enough Gripes and Groans, I'm doing some much needed recruitment, and rather than spout off what the RNR has done for me, I'd like some dits from other branches and people, about how the RNR has changed your life for the best. (I'll Let them find out about the Naff bits once they've signed) LOL.

Just short stuff really, Qualifications, places, things you've gained seen done etc but wouldn't have normally.

2. the important thing i have experienced is that the more you put in - the more you get out.
    i would encourage anyone to join (RN OR RNR) and get stuck in.
    i have mostly been on minehunters/sweepers in my 2 stints, lads and lasses are top notch, making me feel very welcome.
    have had first rate training that civvie companies can't hope to match and visited lots of places for paid hols. america,denmark,belgium,france and fife.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Um... I've gained a 1st aid qualification! (I think :?)

But I think that's it

4. Dont forget the commradeship,the fun and DRINK to quote a tv "Bish".
    If jack ain't dripping then he ain't happy, time to worry. After many years, I now do it for the fun and the friends,(AND THE DRINK), them others are my cross to bear.

Large G & T please

5. Personal one to one training on an SA80 from a Royal Marine. The kind of training you just could not buy. Great feeling you are contributing rather than just expecting to receive stuff from society.

Great mates, doing things and meeting people you would never meet any other way. Keeping fit, travel, beer, feel good moments like when I march in a large group of RNR under Menin Gate at Ypres in my Nos 1s (and the pride of thinking who went before). And all that is in my first two years - am obviously hoping to get a load more memories created in the coming year.

The dripping is better than leaving and as long as you work to get the crap bits sorted out.

6. 1. Friends
    2. Fun
    3. Fulfilment (I've run out of 'F's now, in this reply anyway)
    4. A job that's more challenging than my civvie street role
    5. The satisfaction of knowing I've done something different over the weekend from all my colleagues when I go to work on a Monday
    6. Great socials
    7. Pride
    8. Got to do things I'd never otherwise have done
    9. Personal development
    and there is more.....much more...

I totally agree with all above. Well done itsamuppet for starting a great thread.

7. Here's a recruitment dit for you.

I learnt to sail. Started out in dinghys and moved onto yachts. The Navy even paid for me to do my Yachtmaster course and VHF and Diesel Engine course. I've done loads of Adventurous Training involving sailing, which I was paid for at my daily rate.

With all this sailing experience I ended up getting a job as a flotilla skipper for a well known sailing holiday company and spent a year working afloat in Greece.

Just don't mention Northwood or Collingrad to them!

8. Ditto, (thanks for saving me the typing)

9. 1. Friends - You may say that you can get friends anywhere but it is a different kind of friendship.

2. Pride - In both the uniform and what it stands for.

3. Memories - You may sound like uncle Albert spinning your dits but memories are priceless.

4. Experiences - doing thing that you otherwise wouldnt get to do.

5. Money - I'm not afraid to say it. That paycheque going in on the 14th of every month has saved my life more times than i care to admit.

6. Anticipation of what is going to happen in the future.

10. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Habit? :)

Seriously, after 21 years in the RNR I have many reasons for having stayed in as long as I did (technically still do):

- Cameraderie
    - Pride
    - Fulfilment
    - Personal Development - when I joined I was shy and retiring, however being a bunting brought me out of my shell somewhat!
    - Self Confidence
    - Gaining Coaching/Teaching/Instructing/Public Speaking Skills
    - Opportunities for travel and the ability (nay expectation) that Jack has to seek an "alternative" view of tourist spots (where are the bars with the loose women?)

Other less tangible snapshots that stick in my mind

- Seeing the night sky from a warship at sea - truly awesome
    - Seeing dolphins & orcas in their natural habitat
    - Crossing the Bay of Biscay in a River class MSF and seeing the raw power of the ocean.

11. Ok I will tell you only if you promise not to laugh.

When I joined up at President which was a real ship moored on the Thames at Blackfriars, the first time I stood in rig on the drill deck I could not stop smiling because I was so proud of my uniform. I was even b*ll*cked for grinning like a lunatic. It was excuseable because I was only young and impressionable.

However I still get those moments when I find myself grinning because I love what I do - we marched through Exeter for VJday 50 - the first all female guard outside a naval establishment at the head of a parade of about 3000 people, including behind us the RM platoon - who were not so impressed.

DDay 60 when I helped an elderly Royal Marine up a step and he said to me 'POWren, I do not need to hold your hand but I will do because you are lovely'. How marvellous is that?!

But more than that, I have a friend that I made on New Entry course at Raleigh 21 years ago this week and we are still good mates, I have other friends that I would walk over burning coals for because we have done so much together, and lastly because my dad, with his chest full of medals is so proud of me and has a phot of me in rig on his mantlepiece next to one of my mum when she was in the WAAF.

12. Funny old thing, without wishing to sound sentimentally patriotic and sad, the sort of things already mentioned on this string are exactly what keep me in the RNR - and despite regularly dripping and sounding off about poor management, poor decision making, lack of focus, lack of resources etc, the RNR is still one of the best organisations I have ever been fortunate enough to be involved with.

I have done so much as part of the RNR that I would never have even got a sniff at with other organisations, been places that I would never have gone to on my own, not all of them pleasant but all of them very interesting and, if I ever get grandchildren they will provide the source of numerous dits I can bore them to sleep with.

The other thing is - I am scared stiff of chucking it all in and finding that I actually miss it!

13. Did that once. Came crawling back with cap in hand 8 months later.

14. RC,

I was at the VJ parade in Exeter as well. Things like that you simply can't buy - and are why you stay in the RNR.

15. Lurch are you in the phot in my gallery? I have loads more of all those guards we used to do.

16. RC I might be - where's your gallery and I'll see if I'm there.

17. Lurch - go to one of my postings and you will see a button for gallery

18. I go along with all the above. Not sure why I joined (may have had something to do with an 8 pack and an episode of Hornblower!), made up I did and wish I joined 10 years ago. Although loads to drip about, there's a certain pride about wearing the uniform of the finest navy in the world.

19. i was heavily influenced by "Douglas Reeman " books and by my Father who was a clearance diver in Malta.
    I joined HMS WILDFIRE (Chatham) in Feb 1982 got my uniform on the first night in HMS Pembroke, i have loved the Navy its people and all its stands for ever since, i have been priviledged to serve so far for 26 years and am proud to do so now

" ok stop welling up now"

DSMSMR

20. What keeps me in?

1. Friends and a good laugh.
    2. Doing something you'd never have a chance to do as a civvy.
    3. A different oulook on life.
    4. The chance to put something back into the country
    5. The honour of being in the senior service guard leading the Remembrance day parade, to honour those who selflessly gave their lives so I could live mine.

Nuff said.