What is/was the NLS?

Discussion in 'History' started by stan_da_bout, Mar 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've been asked by a lady (yes I do know one) what uniform her dear grandfather is wearing.

I guesed at British WW2(-ish) navy. No stressing brain cels there but what NLS means I have no idea! Anyone know please? I did guess at National Lifeboat Service but....

2. Nailsea and Backwell railway station station code NLS, England ?Nimrod Line Squadron, former military service unit at RAF Kinloss ? defo wrong time frame though...the S could be Service or Station I suppose...or even Scotland...
  3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

4. It was probably his demob uniform. No Longer Suited.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Naval legal service? Or maybe thats that american.
  6. Dyslexic cap tally manufacturer?
  7. Dutch Ships are HMNLS, maybe??????
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

NLS Crew was a short lived hip hop and thrash metal fusion group, formed as a spin off from Test Icicles.

Thought everyone knew that.
  9. Has the lady in question applied for a copy of the gentleman's service record?

I do have an idea on this one, but I'm not sure ...

Does your friend know whether her grandfather had any connection to the Thames area?
  10. Thanks for the replies.

He's definately British.

She hasn't appiled for the service record yet. She knows nothing more than his name unfortunately, Kenneth William Gunston and he was born in 1926, be about right for late WW2. The family moved to Australia and lost contact, she's come back and found this photo and the name.

So no idea about the Thames ara, could be, could not be.
  11. Is the gentleman still alive?

I ask because this influences the application forms required.
  12. Deceased, we don't even know when.
  13. Soleil, thanks, I'll pass this on. I'll let you know what she finds out.
  14. I've just looked this up.

The gentleman passed away in Hendon in October 1973.

He was born in Watford on March 22nd 1926.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  15. It looks as if he married twice, for the first time on December 15th 1946 in Hendon to a lady with the surname of Payne and for the second time in 1955 in Ealing to a lady with the surname of Gay.

This is all located in the North-West London area - Born in Watford, married in Hendon and Ealing etc.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012