What is this?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by dsgrnmcm, May 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I saw this in the Dart YC when I was grabbing a wet this weekend.

I have never seen it before and it was next to the abdiel crest.

My Latin is a bit shabby so far I guessed (via google) "with water hope"??? Ay ideas?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369687238.905035.jpg

2. Can't quite see clearly but if it is "Dum Spiro Spero" then it's along the lines of "While I breath, I Hope". (I stand by to be corrected by those far more in the know than myself.)

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  3. Not sure if the first word in "cum" or "dum", second is "sprig", third is spero .

4. I would be interested to know which unit the crest belongs to!

5. OMM

OMM War Hero

ImageUploadedByNavy Net - Rum Ration1369689471.185939.jpg

Trawled google to no avail on the crest.

6. I'm assuming dsgrnmcm, that you had researched the "net" and came up empty handed, then thought I'll post it on Rum Ration, on the off chance someone with RN service (possibly a Diver) who may have served or come across it during there time in the Andrew, could help you out? :grin:

Rather than starting a "Google off"......

7. "Google off" ????

I did ask around the boozer, text it to some bubble heads but no joy.

P.C.D.T at the top still escapes me.

And since most members of RR are, cough older than nelsons dhoby bats I thought someone may of seen it. Especially Froggy.

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Portsmouth Clearance Diving Team

Well the Newbies take wild guesses at things, why should the same not apply to the Oldies/

9. Do they still use the same crest or was that before the teams were called groups?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd be mildly surprised if that was an officially sanctioned service crest. It's not quite 'heraldic', in fact, it's awful.

11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Agree with NS, doesn't look official in fact the PCDT (?) incription at the top looks as if it was scrawled into the damp plaster. PCDT? Janner may be on to something, may be the old name for SDU 1.

Naval Gazer is the site expert on naval diving.

12. I have to go with Janner's Portsmouth area Clearance Diving Team, it would seem the obvious choice given the P.C.D.T at the top, and I'm inclined to agree with ninja on the "onofficial" crest, it's a bit "busy".
    There is bound to be a CD on here that will know. :grin:

"Google off" A party where people with no first hand knowledge of a subject race via Google to find the answer. :grin:

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Only a bubblehead would design a crest with a picture of himself in the middle, eh?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Can't see it properly. However Portsmouth was known as PACDU. Portsmouth Area Clearance Diving Unit. Guzz was PCDU or earlier as team. Unit is very American IMP. They then changed to SDU. 1 been Guzz, 2 been Pompey.

Dum Spiro Spero is our unofficial branch motto.

Obviously DSGRNMCM's diver oppos are all ******* sprogs.

Spidiver made that plaque at stand easy circa 1974

Last edited: May 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 1

15. Really? .

16. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I think you just bit froggers.

17. More to it than that.

18. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I can't speak to his technical expertise but to this outsider, he seems the most swept up on branch history.

• Like Like x 1
  19. As the crest is in Dart YC (I presume River Dart, Devon) could the PCDT relate to Plymouth Clearance Diving Team?

20. Pretty sure I've said that?