What is this sensor on the bow of HMS AMBUSH?

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by MSBravo, Jul 10, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been looking at a few photos of the Astute class online.

They now seem to have these sensors on their bows. What is their purpose? Had an extensive Google but with no answers. It must be of great importance as it would presumably affect the sound signature, hydrodynamics, etc.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Is it bow sonar, think type 2079? Only a guess as at first I thought it might be a bollard or capstany type thingie. :cool:

3. Stop thinking, its dangerous. ;) 2019 (came in in the late 70s) or "Paris" Tells you who, what and where someone is trying to ping you.

The top is a blue ish soft rubber. When we first got it the Upper deck Trot got bored and thought it was a good idea to carve his name it :eek:( I told you thinking was dangerous) He wasnt bored for a very long time. :oops:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Secret, innit. Sniff, *wipes nose on back of hand*

• Like Like x 2
  5. Look back through old photos of S and T class SSNs. Paris domes have been standard fit for decades.

[​IMG]

For example.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Is it the RN "Single Finger Salute" to the EU?

7. Thales? French kit if I remember rightly

8. Came in 76/7?

9. Somewhere around then, Sovereign had it when I joined her in 77.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Its a dick for Submariners

11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Like they haven't got enough already.

I'll get my coat.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. PARRIS dome, position selected. For least drag, a fair bit of sums went into that, any more than that and I would have to kill you? Google the Aussie boats they used to call theirs the Rhino Horn.
    If you look behind it over to the Starb side you will see another little tit Pocking up out of the casing?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Otherwise known as Procedure Alpha.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2

14. And it used some of the same holes and glands as the 197. ;)

15. Not on Astute class:eek: They went for cheap through glands, no cost saving there with the hassle they gave?

16. Typical clanky not listening I said Tit not pricks, commonly known as casing party.

17. Not on any thing built after 75ish

18. TS if I remember correctly, Sonar wise we used the same admiralty spec hull glands for all boats before astute, expensive, yes, but they worked. so even if it was no longer called the 19XX gland it was to the same spec, what BAE forgot with the cost cutting was if it is not broken then don't fix/change it?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Almost correct, Toppers. From an old 2400 blurb:

" Type 2019 Passive/Active Range and Intercept Sonar (PARIS). Serves as a warning and threat detection system. Type 2019 is the result of a collaborative effort among Britain, France and the Netherlands."

But it appeared earlier than the 'late Seventies' -

Way back in 1970/71 Warspite had (probably) the first 2019 installation, (and the second, too!) as our original transducer was sliced neatly off at it's casing base by a trawl one dark night off NE Scotland as our then CO (Sandy Woodward RIP), attempted to skirt a fishing fleet ...

T'was replaced at Faslane within a couple of days but the wire trawl wire left quite deep impressions both around the bottom of the fin and where the foreplanes meet the casing. The associated scraping noises above and all around us ATT left deep impressions in my mind, too.

Later in seventies I seem to recall one of the other boats padding their 2019 transducer around with snow to make a decent snowman one Christmastime.

Bob L

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Ah, I spent literally years teaching that in the School! When it was in the original iteration, the operating memory was 1K - yep 1028 thingies. It was NOT 'blue goo' it was green! Andyes, some bored Trots did carve thier initials into it / or see if the goo ran out when stabbed. It didn't. On the upside, I got to do all the 2019 update trials. Where I hear you ask? Oh, only 6 weeks on Andros, Ft Lauderdale etc - God it was tough, but somebody had to do it! I loved the RN!!!