What is this country coming to etc etc etc.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Shakey, May 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Sky news:

A grandmother has been fined £80 - for dropping two Quavers on the pavement.

red-faced officials later apologised for issuing the on-the-spot fine, blaming it on "overzealous" council wardens.

Barbara Jubb picked up a packet of Quavers dropped by her 20-month-old granddaughter Emily, but failed to pick up two stray crisps that fell on the ground.

The 57-year-old was spotted by two eagle-eyed wardens in Crawley, West Sussex, who fined her for dropping litter.

She said: "I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Emily had a packet of Quavers in her hands and dropped it by mistake, two of the crisps fell out, so I picked up the bag and kicked the crisps into the gutter.

"It was raining so they were already wet and starting to disintegrate. I didn't think anything of it.

"Then two people with clipboards came up to me, I thought they were canvassers at first. But they said they were going to fine me for littering.

"They wrote down 'kicking two crisps' as the offence. People were standing around laughing nearby. It is just unbelievable."

A spokesman for Crawley Borough Council said the fine was rescinded after managers accepted the wardens had been overzealous.

Councillor Beryl Mecrow said: "We have apologised to the family for being overzealous and are happy to have cancelled the fine."

Why are people who are this stupid being employed by the council? Or, what training are they being given to make them act in this way? Oh fuck it, I give up.

2. Join the club mate

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Non story... fine rescinded. 'Nuff said.

4. I'll join the club as well methinks , :roll:

5. I hope they didnt waste the crisps ??? :D

That says alot about this country, bloody hell, the child was a baby, the women missed two fecking crisps, wow big deal.
    The council should be fined for being arseholes.

6. Whilst I share your indignation about the stupidity of the litter wardens in this case I would suggest this sort of action is in no way new or unique to this country. There are just some people who go over the top when they are given a little authority, one only has to look at some of our moderators, traffic wardens ticket collectors etc etc etc etc and of course the Joss Man.

7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Simplistic performance targets based not on reality but on a simple count of tickets issued. Its human nature for the wardens to pick on apparent easy targets.

8. They still employed two bloody tossers , wheres the common sense & a bit of discretion , jesus christ , It's the Fly Tippers they need to go after not babys and old ladies , non story I dont think so "spb" , :twisted:

9. sgtpepperband

But the story does not mention what happened to the 'over zealous employees' does it? Yes, the circumstances were surreal and pointless, but the matter was resolved when it came to light what they did; had the fine been awarded and not rescinded, then THAT would have been a story. So no fine = no story.

10. The employees were taken to a side room and had their wrists slapped. They were then reminded that to issue a ticket three crisps were required to be dropped. They were also asked why the child who after all was the perpetrator of the offence did not also receive a ticket.

11. Well done "slim"

12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Welcome to the world of zero tolerance, I remember several of those shouting in this thread, supporting the zero line not to long ago, had a change of heart lads?????????

13. sgtpepperband

Not me! I remain as impartial as possible. It's a hard job, but someone's gotta do it... 8)

14. Obviously the people who tried to give her that fine were people with little brains on a big power trip.

15. Shakey please provide the link to this story???

16. My cousin was elected to the council last year,didn't matter he was thick as a squaddy, he got the votes.
    Last year he was 9 stone wringing wet and when I saw him last week he was massive,maybe 18 stone.
    Says it all really,get elected and live high on the hog whilst thinking up ways of pissing off the public.
    think I'll trip over a pothole and sue the tosser.

17. Go for it seafarer. Tell us what Borough and we'll organise a spate of little "trips".

SF

18. The Child should have been flogged and the grandmother clapped in irons, this Country is far too soft, no wonder we have Chavs stalking the streets.

19. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Good shot
    NZB

20. A couple of hundred years ago,that would have happened :lol: