jumpstart

Hello, my boyfriend is trying to join the Navy as a warfare officer and I was wondering what the course at Britannia is like in terms of holidays and weekends off etc? I am keen to know if I will be able to visit him, how much time off he'll get etc. Any details about the timings of the course would be really appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:

Waspie

War Hero
Hello, my boyfriend is thinking of joining the Navy as a warfare officer and I was wondering what the course is like in terms of holidays and weekends off etc? I am keen to know if I will be able to visit him, how much time off he'll get etc. Any details about the timings of the course would be really appreciated, thank you!
Has your boyfriend thought of asking his recruiter who will know more than we will.
If he delegated that task to you, then he will go far!!!:D

jumpstart

Thank you for that @Waspie. Yes he has thought of that but is trying not to pester him about such unimportant details.

Also I can't imagine it would come across well to be asking about breaks and holidays mid-application, not the best impression.

I was just curious as to how much commuting I might be doing in the near future and I thought here might be the best place to find out.

Waspie

War Hero
Thank you for that @Waspie. Yes he has thought of that but is trying not to pester him about such unimportant details.
The future is hardly unimportant. But in the whole, we are a mix of has beens and wannabes. So much of the info can be second hand and unreliable!! (Out of date or good intentioned but wrong). Hence your partners recruiter is the best source of 'true' info!

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Leave at BRNC has been far from normal over the last 12 months or so, as I'm sure you can imagine, but assuming from your post that he's still in the application process I'll go with what was normal before on the premise that that's where it'll be again.

There's a Families Weekend at the end of the 5th week of training, where families can visit and in the evening can go for meal in the local area with their Cadet. Cadets are not allowed to stay out overnight.

5 weeks later, assuming your boyfriend has passed ABLE (an assessed leadership exercise on Dartmoor) he'll be granted a long weekends leave - that is from the Saturday morning until the Tuesday evening. After that normal weekend leave is granted - from finishing instruction on the Friday until the Sunday evening, subject to Duty Watch requirements and not being placed on RTs (Remedial Training).

The end of his 14th week will coincide with a main leave period - 2 weeks if that's at Christmas or Easter, 3 weeks if that's summer.

After leave he will return to normal weekend leave routines as before, though one weekend will be stopped due to starting MARL (the second assessed leadership exercise on the River Dart) on the Sunday. He will also join a ship for 6 weeks of his second term, with leave being entirely dependent on the ships programme.

Assuming he hasn't failed anything or injured himself at some point, he'll pass out at the end of his 29th week of training.

*Disclaimer - that's as it is now, Phase 1 training is a constantly evolving beast and some of the information above may not be true when/if your boyfriend gets to BRNC.

Chris P

War Hero
I would suck it up and look on it as training for when and if he goes to sea, he will probably not need to be distracted during his training as it may well be a tough stressful few weeks taking everything in to complete the courses.
As you can see from pompeyexpat pusser will give him leave during the course of the training when you will have the opportunity to have time together.

Latest Threads