What is the Royal Navy for?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by letthecatoutofthebag, Oct 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ..................

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  2. I saw that yesterday and thought the exact same thing!

Perhaps it is more to prove to Politicians as to why the Navy is as important as it is ever was, than to Joe Public.

3. The sooner that this is distributed amongst the rest of the general population the better - maybe some more programmes and adverts? Show them what we do, why and why we need more money/people!
    Hope springs eternal..

PNG

4. So when are you going to start doing it instead of poncing of on wars around the globe looking for weapons that don't exist? What the Merchant Fleet needs (and a few yotties and fishing fleet) is a surface presence of many smallish but seaworth vessels that can appear at a request to keep the baddies at bay - not several weeks later to pick up the bits to send home for burial! Yes what you have does a good job within it's limited capability but ONE ship in a sea area (caribbean for a start), no matter hwo much that ship costs and the 'sofisticated' weaponry onboard hardly does that does it? All you need is a couple of medium sized guns and several units with enough speed to help! Rant over (and Yes I did 10 years under the White and 27 years under the Red so yes I'm biased, but I can see your side of it - pity the bloody politicians can't!!)

5. Looking for weapons that dont exist? All those weapons in iraq must be coming from somewhere. The sea is as good a way to get them in as any other.
    Tel lthe pongos these weapons dont exist. Im sure they will rebrief you.

6. Wasn't talking about small arms, sonny! You know I wasn't! And most of them are no doubt coming in by land from you know where - Iraq hardly has a big coastline has it? Or ain't you looked lately?

7. I'm also sure that in the aftermath of the Boxing Day Tsunami there are many people who were grateful that HMS Chatham and her crew were able to provide assistance.

I agree that there are not enough Hull numbers (so what if its twice as powerful it still cannot be in two places at once!), but they still need to big enough to pack enough punch and give more options, the HMS Chatham example above and the evacuation of British Citizens from Beirut proves that even when going to a set deployment, other taskings may come up.

8. OH! Wow! how useful!

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Speaking as someone who was involed in the Beirut evacuation, most of the personnel we repatriated to Cyprus where British "passport holders", although I would probably not call them 'British citizens'... :?

10. Taxi's for Royal...I'll get me coat.
    NZB

11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

STOP the taxi! please go back and retrieve NZB's coat, theres a good matelot..........

12. So the navy were look for WMD in the arabian gulf? They would get wet woudnt they????

13. It appeared that some were!! Very!!

14. Damm, beaten to it!

IMD