What is the Lantern test like?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by foxy3, Apr 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,

I went to my AFCO today to look at joining the RNR. I know I'm colour blind and will easily fail the CP2 colour test. So I'm looking for some information on the CP3 lantern test. I understand it is a series of red/green/white lights in a dark room. Now I can easily tell traffic lights apart, does this stand me in good stead for passing? I think I'm most concerned about Green/White as I can tell Red/Green apart. Also is there a pass mark, e.g. percentage correct or is it miss one and you've failed?

What I'm trying to do is gauge if I've got a chance of passing before I waste everyones time. Obviously a hard task on something that is rather hard to define as colour perception. If anyone has any tips on where I could get the test done beforehand that would be good, my opticians doesn't do it. Is that the norm or do I just have a rubbish optician?

Thanks in advance

2. Foxy3: I think that's the test I took when I joined the Andrew back in 1963. A little booth with a curtain pulled across and a lantern, literally just a small device which gives small circular lights, and the Doc or whoever just asks which colours you can see. They are changed a few times and that's about it. From what you say you should be OK. Something to do with telling the difference between Port and Starboard navigation lights at sea I believe, but maybe not. Hope this helps, and good luck....

3. Dicky

I too joined in '63 and remember taking that test, but I think that advances in technology have replaced the old style "latern" :lol: ...although the same test... my colour perseption was only three and barred me from certain branches (flag waver and such) but still ended up as a Pinkie trying to sort out the colours of those pesky wires!! (I find snooker a bit difficult now!!) :wink:

4. As far as the person taking the test is concerned, it's basically the same as Dicky described... although I believe that the apparatus has been improved and made easier for the optician to use, that won't affect you at all.

Some opticians may be able to do the test for you, unfortunately I don't know how easy it is for you to get to another opticians... if you have th chance though, it may be worth ringing round to see if anywhere nearby will do it.

As Stripey_G says, I believe the requirements are different for different branches... after all, not being able to distinguish green and white lights could be a problem in certain circumstances (eg. telling what another ship is doing at night, which is often signalled by coloured lights)

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Lantern Test is constructed to simulate in controlled conditions, the critical visual task of seamen & warfare-related trades. The test is usually performed by approved persons. The lantern is regarded as a form of trade test displaying pairs of vertically arranged lights in a combination of red, green and white. These are viewed at a distance of 6m (20 feet) either by direct vision or mirror reversal, in light surroundings or in total darkness as laid down in current instructions - basically exactly what Dicky describes above.

6. i did the test in '85 and it basically set out which branch i was suitable for. there are different levels of colour blindness, and i was ok for stoking but absolutely useless for anything that involved navigating although i can read flags as no two flags have the same pattern pattern and shape!!

7. For those of you watching in black and white,the blue ball is the one behind the green. :lol:
    Remember that? 8O

8. the lights are small dots of light and not as clear coloured as the others, still the CP4 test is easy enough

9. Thanks for all the info and replies. Seems to get it done before I start the entry process is going to cost me £125 at the only place I've found that does the test - which is rather steep.

10. Sit tight and wait until Pusser does the test.

11. Visit any busy port and night and see what colours appear before your eyes as the boats sail in and out. If they all look the same colour, it means that you'd make an excellent Stoker as all you need for Stokering is to distinguish between the fuel (black), the furnace (white firebricks) and the flames (yellow).