What is the interview like to become a marine?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Peter_G, Jul 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What sort of questions ect, just wondering, I've got a while to go yet :)
  2. Theyre mind blowing man, swot up on Rambo films, it`ll be a doddle.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The Selection Interview breaks down into five main areas & lasts 45 minutes to around an hour.

Make sure you switch your mobile off at the interview but also make sure you have the AFCO phone-number so that you can ring them BEFOREHAND, if you are delayed.

Dress smart, be early, bring all certificates & National Record of Achievement. Bring any documentation such as passport Birth Certificate, NHS Card if you did not already provide them to be copied on Recruiting Test day. Bring four colour passport photographs-put your name on the back of each. Also bring any completed paperwork given to you beforehand: eyetest forms, Security Questionnaire etc.

Areas covered in the interview are as follows:

Where were you born, where else have you lived, all about you and your family.

School attendance, who chose your school, punctuality, achievements, membership of clubs & societies, sports teams, favourite subjects, least favourite, suspensions, expulsions, what did you think if you got a detention, how you got on with teachers & pupils, what results you obtained, what do you think of your results, what did your family think of our reslts, what further education you have attended if any. What consideration did you give to attend further education, How many schools attended. If you left further education early=why. Did you represent the school at sports.

How may jobs, why you left, how did you get your job, why did you leave, how you got on with the public, did you handle cash, what responsibilities did you have. How much do you earn, what are your commitments, can you cope on Service pay, do you know how much you get paid, any savings, debts, relevant to new entry pay. Timekeeping, disciplinary record.

Member of any sports clubs, Uniformed Youth Organisations, social life:do you understand drugs policy, what hobbies & interests do you have. Full breakdown of fitness schedule - Physical activity -what/how often/how far & how long established etc. any work related training, related skills/interests, Personal achievements. What is your opinion of drugs. What's the Armed forces policy on drugs.

Experience of communal living, ability to adapt to change, attitude to authority, time away from home/family, any experience of responsibility, timekeeping/discipline/truancy, aspirations/motivation-what do you know about the Service & CORPS KNOWLEDGE QUESTIONS, General Knowledge of service/training/Terms and conditions of service. How much do you earn in training, how long is your contact for, how quickly can you leave if you don't like it.

Relax. Maintain eye contact, don't slouch. Be yourself & good luck.
  4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Listen to the ninja Peter. :salut:
  5. Interview!!

I was the milkman delivering milk for the galley.

When I mentioned I walked twenty mile a day in all weathers and my hobby was poaching they signed me up straight away.

How times have changed!!