What is the Flying Aptitude Test?

Aaa

Midshipman
From what I understand is it is a test which involves you flying a plane in a simulation while asked random questions like 42 - 13? Does it not test your physical ability, such as put you in 0 Gs? If not is there a test that requires you to fly the aircraft upside down or falling?

Hit the search button chap/chapess, plenty of info on the FATs on here.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Aaa

Midshipman
Or maybe somebody can give me a detailed answer and then when people search in the future they will be directed here. ;D

Kidding. Xoxox

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
From what I understand is it is a test which involves you flying a plane in a simulation while asked random questions like 42 - 13? Does it not test your physical ability, such as put you in 0 Gs? If not is there a test that requires you to fly the aircraft upside down or falling?
Correct, FATs do not include 0G physical simulations, actual inverted flying simulations or falling.

Rather boringly, it just involves Computer Based Aptitude Tests which usually filter out about 90% of aspirants who have passed the recruit test for the role, the interview, medical examination and fitness test.

The type of tests involved and the specific content of FATs are outlined here: https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/threads/aircrewman.74983/page-3#post-1200340

Best o'luck.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thank you very much!

Do you know if those filtered out can retry later or choose a different role?
There is a tendency from those failing FATs to insist on a retake but statistically the vast majority of retakes are just a bit slower on the uptake with regard the dawning of realisation.