What is the accommodation like in the RFA?

Warship21

The RFA haven't posted much about accommodation in the RFA. I've seen youtube videos about the cabins on the ships.

I was just wondering if any fellow RFA workers could tell me what the accommodation like.

Could anyone tell me the rent prices, what would you advice give? And what should I bring that you guys regretted not bringing.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Rent? I am presuming you mean offship, but could you be a little clearer what you are asking?

When you are offship the RFA only pays for accommodation when you are on courses/training. That can vary considerably, depending where you are and what you are doing. For example some military accommodation and a few foreign hotels should be condemned as unfit for human habitation; some are quite nice.

So when you are offship and not training, you are on leave, where you live then and the rent you pay is your concern, not the RFA's (though they do like to know where to send letters to if needed).

Warship21

Rent? I am presuming you mean offship, but could you be a little clearer what you are asking?

When you are offship the RFA only pays for accommodation when you are on courses/training. That can vary considerably, depending where you are and what you are doing. For example some military accommodation and a few foreign hotels should be condemned as unfit for human habitation; some are quite nice.

So when you are offship and not training, you are on leave, where you live then and the rent you pay is your concern, not the RFA's (though they do like to know where to send letters to if needed).
Thank you for the information. I just realised I got mixed up when reading information. Also, I'm currently near the end of my application process to join as a seaman apprentice. Got mixed up as I thought I would have to pay for accommodation in the RFA as the same rate of pay for people in the royal navy. But thanks for clearing up the information.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Got mixed up as I thought I would have to pay for accommodation in the RFA as the same rate of pay for people in the royal navy. But thanks for clearing up the information.
Can confirm in the RFA we do not pay extra mess subs for food, or accommodation onboard*. Also everyone onboard, Captain to Apprentice, eats the same food made by the same Chefs. However out cabin sizes do differ (in size and whether you have to share a bathroom)

As mentioned before, if you have to pay for accommodation/food, when you are on a course there are rules/methods for claiming it back (within government set limits).

* the taxman does view receiving free food/board as a perk, and so a nominal value for it is included in the calculation of your income tax and pension.