What is poverty?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Binnie, Aug 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Slightly surprised with a recent poll which suggests that one in three British children live 'in poverty'. Does anyone know what the criteria is for being impoverished in the UK?

I've seen poverty around the world, and nothing I've seen in the UK comes remotely close
  2. It's related to income in relation to the national average income. Relative poverty is the preferred term. My definition of poverty is sharing one room between two or more families with no furniture, toys etc, the occupants dressed in rags, barefoot wondering where their next meal is coming from and how to scrape the money together to buy bread.

When I was growing up, my definition of poverty was not owning your own horse! :lol:
  3. Poverty is having an income below a certain level. However many children are in poverty due to their parent(s) spending their benefits inappropriately. :twisted:
    Funny according to government figures I am living below the poverty line, so why are they taking tax from me? :twisted:
  4. Yeah, I guess people's expectations are different. But in certain parts of the world, where the poor are wretchedly poor, they just seem to be so much tougher and more resourceful because they have no other option. They make the best of what they have and get by.

While I have no problem with the welfare state, I think that there are so many in this country who ride it like a cheerleader and have the audacity to moan that they are not getting enough. I know people like this, unfortunately
  5. Poverty is not being able to afford that new Lexus. Not being able to afford a trip to the States for four months. Yeh sure!!

Slumdog Millionaire the movie that gives that feelgood feeling what a load of shite!!!! I thought to myself people are living like that daily scrounging on landfill sites. I came away disgusted!!!
  6. Poverty is having nothing but the Daily Mail to read. :cry:
  7. I'm a Mirror man meself :wink:
  8. Living in a house freezing because you cant pay bills sleeping with overcoats on the bed in winter and rugs .Thats poverty and having nowt
  9. Les that was normal in the fifties, did we call it poverty? No it was just the way of life for the majority of the working class. Benefits in those days hardly existed so everyone had to work or starve.
  10. We refer to this as 'Intellectual Poverty' ;)
  11. yes
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Daily Mail-o-matic... :twisted:
  13. Poverty is what you have left after the Feds have trooped you for coming back onboard piss*d :p
  14. Yeh, but only having the Daily Mirror to read and then having to wipe your arse with it......That was something else.
  15. Poverty is being run by Gordon (fcuking) Brown.
  16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I approached Gordon with a view to obtaining his point of view, and this is what he said:

:oops: :wink:
  17. Poverty is all about perception... :D

18. Poverty?

When the mice start bringing you cheese...