What is it really?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by RNMA, Aug 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey guys. I've seen this pop up a few times on RR and ARRSE and its always the same thing, i.e "don't mention it" or "did you find it" etc. I'm just really getting curious as to what really is the "golden rivet"? Its something that if i don't find out i will end up asking when i eventually get to Raleigh, and some how i know that asking would be an advisable thing to bring up. so can anyone tell me the truth concerning it?

2. Well one thing you never do is ask a hairy arsed stoker where the golden rivet is.

Then we have the civilised version.

In naval folklore there is a tale that every ship is built containing a single, commemorative "golden rivet"— an idea doubtless adapted from the golden spike that was temporarily driven at the completion of the transcontinental railroad in 1869. The rivet's location is allegedly different for each ship and undisclosed, known only to the crew. Of course no such thing exists: gold is too malleable to use for a rivet; like many urban legends the "golden rivet" is perpetuated for the amusement of "old salts" at the expense of the gullible.

Most often the myth is used as a practical joke or snipe hunt played on junior sailors, exploiting their naivety and natural curiosity with their new surroundings. The prank consists of informing a new sailor of the existence of the "golden rivet", and encouraging him to look for it. After scouring the entire ship without success, it eventually dawns on the junior that he has been the butt of a joke.

In a crueler addition to the gag, a senior sailor calls attention to the rivet somewhere in the deck plating; then as the junior bends over to look at it, he is given a kick in the backside. Sometimes the snipe hunt is dispensed with altogether, with the senior sailor merely pointing to a spot on the deck and inviting the junior examine it. When pointed out to female guests (especially attractive ones), the point is simply to get the target to bend over.

As navies around the world are increasingly the target of criticism regarding victimization, the "golden rivet" gag can be seen as a fairly harmless form of initiation.

Other steel structures said to contain a golden rivet include the Forth Rail Bridge and the Empire State Building.

3. Snipe hunts eh?
    Reminds me when I was POOW in HQ1 in Invincible, and had a call from the Wardroom saying Prince Andrew was on his way down for the keys to the Snooker room, would I give him the works????? Which of course I did with the help of CMEM, C/Chippy, Outside Tanky, C/Stores and the Hangar control officer. He never did forgive me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    RoofRat

4. In a crueler addition to the gag, a senior sailor calls attention to the rivet somewhere in the deck plating; then as the junior bends over to look at it, he is given a kick in the backside.

"Kicked??" not what i was told!!

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

That'll be the Politically Correct explanation.

Alledgedly its a pain in the arse whichever way it finishes up :oops:

Legend has it that they actually had a golden rivet (painted) on the Royal Yacht. Perhaps Smudger can confirm this.

6. All done to the tune of "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash, no doubt!

7. It was confirmed in an earlier thread, when Geoff Wessex got himself in trouble by suggesting that Royal Yachties were like Canadian Lumberjacks. Remember them? I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok... :lol:

Apparently one was painted somewhere on board following a request by a naive member of the Royal Family (Princess Margaret no less) to see the ship's golden rivet.

Historically the golden rivet is the first acknowledgement that sodomy occured in the Andrew! Luckily sodomy is jackspeak so as a civvy I have no idea what it means :wink: :lol: How nice it is to be innocent for once! 8)

For more on Golden Rivets visit Rum Ration's thread on Golden Rivets.

8. Why is it always a stoker that offers to show you it??

9. Presumably because only Stokers have the technical training to tell the difference between a rivet and a bubble in the paintwork?

Or maybe it's something special about Stokers? :wink: :roll: :lol:

10. Still i have to say, the heady mix of oil soakd overalls and a machinery spave does it for me every time!!

11. They're also of practical use in life outside: as plumbers, etc. :)

12. Ooh me too!

13. Perhaps we should form a Stokers Appreciation Society (The SAS) to campaign for true recognition (& reward) to be given for those who have done stokerhood (time as a stoker) in the RN? :lol:

14. Always_a_Civvy Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:49 am Post subject: Re: What is it really?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps we should form a Stokers Appreciation Society (The SAS) to campaign for true recognition (& reward) to be given for those who have done stokerhood (time as a stoker) in the RN?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For God's sake people - don't encourage them!!

SF

15. Could I be an associate member?

16. Tell you what AAC turn round and I`ll show you a good trick with my shovel.

17. Will I be conscious at the end, or just in need of laxatives? :lol:

18. No but you might need a cesarean to extract it

Er, an while I’m here could you please stop bullying that kind lovable old stoker that calls himself UncleAlbert, on account of I have never done nothing to you, well not for awhile anyway.