Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it really?

RNMA

MIA
hey guys. I've seen this pop up a few times on RR and ARRSE and its always the same thing, i.e "don't mention it" or "did you find it" etc. I'm just really getting curious as to what really is the "golden rivet"? Its something that if i don't find out i will end up asking when i eventually get to Raleigh, and some how i know that asking would be an advisable thing to bring up. so can anyone tell me the truth concerning it?
 
Well one thing you never do is ask a hairy arsed stoker where the golden rivet is.

Then we have the civilised version.

In naval folklore there is a tale that every ship is built containing a single, commemorative "golden rivet"— an idea doubtless adapted from the golden spike that was temporarily driven at the completion of the transcontinental railroad in 1869. The rivet's location is allegedly different for each ship and undisclosed, known only to the crew. Of course no such thing exists: gold is too malleable to use for a rivet; like many urban legends the "golden rivet" is perpetuated for the amusement of "old salts" at the expense of the gullible.

Most often the myth is used as a practical joke or snipe hunt played on junior sailors, exploiting their naivety and natural curiosity with their new surroundings. The prank consists of informing a new sailor of the existence of the "golden rivet", and encouraging him to look for it. After scouring the entire ship without success, it eventually dawns on the junior that he has been the butt of a joke.

In a crueler addition to the gag, a senior sailor calls attention to the rivet somewhere in the deck plating; then as the junior bends over to look at it, he is given a kick in the backside. Sometimes the snipe hunt is dispensed with altogether, with the senior sailor merely pointing to a spot on the deck and inviting the junior examine it. When pointed out to female guests (especially attractive ones), the point is simply to get the target to bend over.

As navies around the world are increasingly the target of criticism regarding victimization, the "golden rivet" gag can be seen as a fairly harmless form of initiation.

Other steel structures said to contain a golden rivet include the Forth Rail Bridge and the Empire State Building.
 

RoofRat

War Hero
Snipe hunts eh?
Reminds me when I was POOW in HQ1 in Invincible, and had a call from the Wardroom saying Prince Andrew was on his way down for the keys to the Snooker room, would I give him the works????? Which of course I did with the help of CMEM, C/Chippy, Outside Tanky, C/Stores and the Hangar control officer. He never did forgive me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
RoofRat
 

imom1406

War Hero
In a crueler addition to the gag, a senior sailor calls attention to the rivet somewhere in the deck plating; then as the junior bends over to look at it, he is given a kick in the backside.

"Kicked??" not what i was told!!
 

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
imom1406 said:
In a crueler addition to the gag, a senior sailor calls attention to the rivet somewhere in the deck plating; then as the junior bends over to look at it, he is given a kick in the backside.

"Kicked??" not what i was told!!

That'll be the Politically Correct explanation.

Alledgedly its a pain in the arse whichever way it finishes up :oops:

Legend has it that they actually had a golden rivet (painted) on the Royal Yacht. Perhaps Smudger can confirm this.
 

imom1406

War Hero
janner said:
imom1406 said:
In a crueler addition to the gag, a senior sailor calls attention to the rivet somewhere in the deck plating; then as the junior bends over to look at it, he is given a kick in the backside.

"Kicked??" not what i was told!!

That'll be the Politically Correct explanation.

Alledgedly its a pain in the arse whichever way it finishes up :oops:

All done to the tune of "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash, no doubt!
 
It was confirmed in an earlier thread, when Geoff Wessex got himself in trouble by suggesting that Royal Yachties were like Canadian Lumberjacks. Remember them? I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok... :lol:

Apparently one was painted somewhere on board following a request by a naive member of the Royal Family (Princess Margaret no less) to see the ship's golden rivet.

Historically the golden rivet is the first acknowledgement that sodomy occured in the Andrew! Luckily sodomy is jackspeak so as a civvy I have no idea what it means :wink: :lol: How nice it is to be innocent for once! 8)

For more on Golden Rivets visit Rum Ration's thread on Golden Rivets.
 

imom1406

War Hero
Always_a_Civvy said:
It was confirmed in an earlier thread, when Geoff Wessex got himself in trouble by suggesting that Royal Yachties were like Canadian Lumberjacks. Remember them? I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok... :lol:

Apparently one was painted somewhere on board following a request by a naive member of the Royal Family (Princess Margaret no less) to see the ship's golden rivet.

Historically the golden rivet is the first acknowledgement that sodomy occured in the Andrew! Luckily sodomy is jackspeak so as a civvy I have no idea what it means :wink: :lol: How nice it is to be innocent for once! 8)

For more on Golden Rivets visit Rum Ration's thread on Golden Rivets.

Why is it always a stoker that offers to show you it??
 
Presumably because only Stokers have the technical training to tell the difference between a rivet and a bubble in the paintwork?

Or maybe it's something special about Stokers? :wink: :roll: :lol:
 

imom1406

War Hero
Always_a_Civvy said:
Presumably because only Stokers have the technical training to tell the difference between a rivet and a bubble in the paintwork?

Or maybe it's something special about Stokers? :wink: :roll: :lol:

Still i have to say, the heady mix of oil soakd overalls and a machinery spave does it for me every time!!
 
imom1406 said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
Presumably because only Stokers have the technical training to tell the difference between a rivet and a bubble in the paintwork?

Or maybe it's something special about Stokers? :wink: :roll: :lol:

Still i have to say, the heady mix of oil soakd overalls and a machinery spave does it for me every time!!

Ooh me too!
 
Perhaps we should form a Stokers Appreciation Society (The SAS) to campaign for true recognition (& reward) to be given for those who have done stokerhood (time as a stoker) in the RN? :lol:
 

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Always_a_Civvy Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:49 am Post subject: Re: What is it really?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps we should form a Stokers Appreciation Society (The SAS) to campaign for true recognition (& reward) to be given for those who have done stokerhood (time as a stoker) in the RN?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For God's sake people - don't encourage them!!

SF
 
SILVER_FOX said:
Always_a_Civvy Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:49 am Post subject: Re: What is it really?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps we should form a Stokers Appreciation Society (The SAS) to campaign for true recognition (& reward) to be given for those who have done stokerhood (time as a stoker) in the RN?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For God's sake people - don't encourage them!!

SF

Could I be an associate member?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Tell you what AAC turn round and I`ll show you a good trick with my shovel.


......
 
G

Guest

Guest
No but you might need a cesarean to extract it

Er, an while I’m here could you please stop bullying that kind lovable old stoker that calls himself UncleAlbert, on account of I have never done nothing to you, well not for awhile anyway.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil ForcesNet: "John Inverdale Praises 'Really Good' Navy Rugby Final" Sports and Adventure Training 0
MoD_RSS Grant Shapps: new ‘On Time’ statistics will stop masking whether trains are really on time MoD News 0
Coggie Really old photos History 1
C Really upset, and i dont know what to do??? Joining the Royal Navy 5
superpom Mmmmmm.....really? Diamond Lil's 84
Antonio555 How much will i really earn? CIS submariner Joining the Royal Navy 8
SONAR-BENDER I'm a Girl Guide! No, REALLY! I am! Diamond Lil's 13
ws1602 What is it really like? Joining the Royal Navy 7
Mess Webly Time What's it really like in the RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 11
B If these are Navy Leaders, we really are sunk The Gash Barge 91
SONAR-BENDER REALLY been stabbed in the back Diamond Lil's 3
slim Was the RN really better in the Old Farts Day? Diamond Lil's 102
S Navy Nursing, whats it really like?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
SONAR-BENDER Has Argentina REALLY lost the plot? Diamond Lil's 4
PompeyPusser Is this really the best we can do? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 125
blueschill A Chinese 3000mph Super Sub!? Really??? Current Affairs 13
stan_the_man They really know how to get things right in Cornwall fcuking Pointy Heads Diamond Lil's 19
M What being is a Medical assistant general service really like? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
S HMS RALEIGH; What is it really like? The Fleet 83
Siannn. Just some really slightly tipsy daft stuff that I need to get off my chest... Diamond Lil's 76
fails_as_is Duty watch really turned to under the glory shower here... The Gash Barge 2
S What's life in the RN REALLY like? (please be honest) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 56
2 Worked on a gash barge but it wasn't really what I had pictured.... The Gash Barge 28
MG Maniac Proof beer goggles really do work! Diamond Lil's 20
LaurenMc What really pisses me off Diamond Lil's 52
frogman007 Footballers really are Poxy queens The Quarterdeck 8
witsend Do you really want to join up? Diamond Lil's 13
wave_dodger Is this really newsworthy? Current Affairs 9
M Is it really that bad? Current Affairs 30
Magda Films you really don't like (but actually do). Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 6
Rumrat Their really trying Diamond Lil's 33
stan_the_man The day I really did shit myself Diamond Lil's 11
janner Says it all really Diamond Lil's 1
markbsac no more to be said really :-) Current Affairs 14
The_Caretaker Really Funny Miscellaneous 0
B Really bad headaches after exercise, any ideas? Health & Fitness 15
T What CAS really thinks of Fast Jet aircrew The Gash Barge 7
G What is life really like in the marines? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
soleil Financial Times: "Is The Royal Navy Really Necessary?" Current Affairs 7
finknottle Are they really that stupid? Current Affairs 68
otherguy just a hello really Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
NotmeChief How it Really Is The Quarterdeck 4
superpom Veteran Sailor, Soldier Airman...does it really matter? Current Affairs 0
wet_blobby The Election....what'll really happen. Diamond Lil's 14
NZ_Bootneck The who really gives a shoite files!! Diamond Lil's 13
M Age really is no barrier Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
smudge3311 re joining.........yes really!! The Fleet 5
Morty Whats the royal navy really like Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 41
T Help in confirming individual is really a RM The Corps 19
chockhead819 JPA - is it really a **** up? UPO 16
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top