What is it really like

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by hobbit, Oct 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is intended as a genuine question regarding what the UK of the new century is really like. I read newspapers, one in particular the International Express, and see some disturbing things. The various threads on this site in general reflect discontent of some kind. Crazy things like the arrest of a priest for distributing leaflets. Ranting and raving by people made welcome into the country it all seems so different to the place I left last century, fifty years ago to be accurate.
    At that time the Commonwealth seemed like a big happy family with the cricket tests and all the other bits and pieces creating a friendly atmosphere and a bond of trust and respect. So what is it like now from a Jacks perspective which is usually pretty blunt and spot on. As I said at the start this is a genuine question as I try to understand the big changes that have taken place so I would appreciate genuine answers.
    Oh, and BTW, I was not a rat leaving a sinking ship. Fifty years ago UK and Australia were great places to be I just liked the space and climate of this country but always retained deep feeling for the Old Dart.

:) :) :)

2. So Britain has caught up with attitudes of countries from the Middle East. What's new? Half the buggers live here anyway. :?

3. This once proud country of our's is sinking mate, all my mates , mostly ex Matelot's, or ex Royals , all agree we'd be gone if we were 20 year's younger , what a sad state of afairs , thank you tony ,

4. Hey shippers, you can't blame that tit for the state of the country today. It takes successive governments to make suck a monumental fcukup of current proportions. Besides, he must be an honest Henry because he supports Newcastle. :lol:

5. Liberalism has ruined the UK and is continuing to do so. The main parties are so alike they are almost clones. The people have no choice but to be spoon fed more and more shite as the lazy and evil are tolertaed whilst the hard working are dumped on.
    Any wonder so many people choose to live abroad now? My mate has moved his whole family from Jockland to NZ because (among other reasons) the kids weren't allowed to play sport in the rain at school in case they fell over?????? Lost the plot? Damn right we have !

6. Dabs wrote: Hey shippers, you can't blame that tit for the state of the country today. It takes successive governments to make suck a monumental fcukup of current proportions. Besides, he must be an honest Henry because he supports Newcastle.

True, but then again, he and his cronies haven't exactly help the situation either.

SF

7. Spot on with that observation. It must be part of an MP's basic training to screw the country. At least they are consistent. :?

8. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SILVER_FOX wrote:
    Dabs wrote: Hey shippers, you can't blame that tit for the state of the country today. It takes successive governments to make suck a monumental fcukup of current proportions. Besides, he must be an honest Henry because he supports Newcastle.

True, but then again, he and his cronies haven't exactly help the situation either.

SF
    Spot on with that observation. It must be part of an MP's basic training to screw the country. At least they are consistent.

I cant agree more with these statements, in fact in the last 2 months I have seriously looked at emigrating to Oz myself. Need to persuade the wife too!!!!! That is the hard bit.

9. Personally I doubt Tony's commitment to the Toon! He reckons he remembers sitting in the Leazes at a time when there where no seats in that end and that he watched Jackie Milburn play when, being a similar age to me, he couldn't possibly of done! Politicians can't help spouting balls no matter what subject they are addressing.

Tim

10. The sooner the welfare state gets a refit the better. Until then we will continue to have able bodied people sitting on their arses and claiming benefits. And who can blame them, they get more on benefits than working for the minimum wage. Reduce benefits, increase the minimum wage, with perhaps a little financial help for small companies to enable them to employ people.
    Until benefits are reduced to a bare minimum this country will continue to decline

11. [quote="Bongobilly
    I cant agree more with these statements, in fact in the last 2 months I have seriously looked at emigrating to Oz myself. Need to persuade the wife too!!!!! That is the hard bit.[/quote]

Hello BB,
    A move to Oz would be the best thing you could do IMHO. It is difficult for wives however and that would need to be settled before taking the big step. I would recommend it even without the apparent difficulties in the old country. Places favoured by Brits are Perth, Western Australia, Sydney New South Wales and Queensland. I love Sydney myself as I became familiar with the place when in the mob, S/M 4. I still get the occasional tug from the old Dart when I see familiar places on the TV or in the paper but this is my home now.
    I don't know what you do for a quid but the opportunities in this country are endless for anyone prepared to toil as most Brits are. I hope you make it out here and you'll never be without a familiar voice or so as there's a lot of Brits living happily in the sun. Remember though this is me as I wouldn't like to wrongly advise you into something you'll regret. A lot of sites on the web should provide you with a wealth of information so good hunting,

8)

12. What, playing rugger without getting plastered in mud! 8O But that ain't rugby. It'd be like dingy sailing being banned cause you might fall in the drink and get wet! :roll: :lol: Perhaps swimming ought to be banned in case kids drown, and of course the edge of paper can cause cuts so that paper out. Computers can catch fire, slippery gym flooring can make you fall over and I'm sure my arms are longer as a result of having to hang from the wallbars... can I sue? :lol: