What is 'camp life' like in the RN

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dave11, May 18, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi.
    I have read and watch videos about serving on a ship and going here there and everywhere.
    But what about if your not attracted to a ship? Do you spend that time in a camp somewhere? If so what is the day to day Routine?
    Are there camps abroad you can be for a certain amount of time?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  2. Edited by MOD due to poster being a bit of an idiot really...
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

RNR life is similar to RN life - plenty of training opportunities and chances to be social with your mates when deployed with them. Its what you make of it that counts.
  4. Why would anyone even contemplate joining the RN if they are reluctant to serve at sea?
    The original post is one that should have been drowned at birth.

I edited that ever so slightly before posting to avoid hurt feelings.
  5. Lies, RNR actually seem to enjoy it as opposed to everyone else. You can always spot the tables in the galley which have RNR sat at them, people actually smile.
  6. Which poster? The original?
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There are "shore billets" in training establishments for those instructing or attending courses, and base port establishments such as HMS Neptune, Drake & Nelson which are largely accomodation centres for those living and working shoreside in support of the ships, aircraft & submarines. Typical daily routing is 0800 start, 1600 finish, mon to friday with most evenings & weekends to do as you please. In my experience, shore drafts seem to be few and far between with a large part of your career attached to a ship, boat or squadron with the only time ashore being when you are ona professional course. A lot of it, in fact all of it, depends on branch & rate/rank.

Writers, medical assistants, nurses, fleet air arm and engineering officers spend a good chunk of their career shoreside.
  8. I'm glad that most of the time you are on a ship. I think I'd hate being stuck in a camp for months. Whole point of me wanting to join the navy is to be on ships.
    What's with this RNR talk?

9. I was wondering the same.
  10. P_t edited old_fart's post.
  11. Join as an officer. They get plenty of shore time once they've done their sea draft. Unlike us scummy ratings

12. camp sailor..jpg Picture of a Sailor enjoying the 'Camp life'....:rofl:
    • Like Like x 2