What is a Warfare Officers role while alongside?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Mordz, Jan 29, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,
    With my fitness test coming up in my application, I've started some more serious revision in preparation for the SIFT interview. One thing I've struggled to find information on, is what Warfare Officers get up to while in port and alongside. I read that Officers may be given responsibility for a section of the ship keeping it clean and operationally ready, as well as possibility of being OOD however apart from that not much else.

If anyone could expand on this and provide anymore information it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Short answer - looking after your people and paperwork. The long answer will have to wait until tonight or possibly tomorrow.

3. So, first job OOW, in a Frigate or Destroyer, what do you do alongside?

Number 1 - look after your Division. This may be a relatively simple job some days/weeks, sometimes they're a ******* nightmare. But it's your first job as an Officer whilst not on the Bridge.

Numbers 2 - 99 - do your secondary duties. These may range from being Charge Books (i.e. Secret and Top Secret) Officer, Intelligence Officer or XO's Assistant (the 3 big tasks for 1st job-ers), or run your Part of Ship, to affiliation officer for a Sea Cadet Unit or Town Council, to being the lead Officer for a particular project or task (i.e. an upcoming port visit). You'll also be studying to improve your professional knowledge, be it your Platform Endorsement, through to your Bridge Warfare Qualification to pre-PWO Ops Room Certificate. You will also have to prepare for Initial Staff Course by writing essays, as well as aiming to become Command Qualified.

Another big commitment will be to act as an Officer of the Day. During your period as OOD you will be concentrating solely upon the safety of the Ship and her People, and ceremonial, for your 24 hour duty. Any ship worth it's salt will release you from any other duty (including Divisional in some circumstances) in order to allow you to concentrate on your duty.

Hope this helps?

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  4. Alternative short answer - getting in the f***ing way!

• Like Like x 1
  5. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

But surely before OOW there are a few more steps and different if the dice role and the SP goes down the MM.PP route?

6. If MM/PP, the first jobs will be Navigator or Gunnery Officer. 1 - 99 remain pretty much the same frankly. In terms of workload they are all roughly equivalent.

7. To think that back in the day we used to be Correspondence Officers too. How the happy memories come flooding back!

8. Do they not have to shout "bang(er), bang(er), bang(er)", during wafus off watch too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Only for you JFH.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Anybody in the Huntingdon/St Ives (Cambridgeshire) area?

www.onamissionfitness.co.uk are offering anybody joining the RN, RM, Army or the other ones free boot camp fitness just mention the Huntingdon Live Magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Thanks Alfred that's great.
    No username pun intended.