What is a matelot

guys, as it says, ex-squaddie here. Dont know if this is the place to be, but it looks popular, so any guidance would be helpful

I ned a bit of info to settle a bet in a pub; Why do the Royal Marines, as part of the Royal Navy, salute "Army style" and not "Navy style"? BTW Some proper references would be nice. Basically my local fat Labour councillor challenged me to show him how the navy salute, so when I did the "navy style" he said wrong! cos what about the Royal Marines which are part of the Navy! I did say because they were originally formed as part of the Army, but they are part of the Navy now, and I couldn't answer that bit.

any answers?

guys, as it says, ex-squaddie here. Dont know if this is the place to be, but it looks popular, so any guidance would be helpful

I ned a bit of info to settle a bet in a pub; Why do the Royal Marines, as part of the Royal Navy, salute "Army style" and not "Navy style"? BTW Some proper references would be nice. Basically my local fat Labour councillor challenged me to show him how the navy salute, so when I did the "navy style" he said wrong! cos what about the Royal Marines which are part of the Navy! I did say because they were originally formed as part of the Army, but they are part of the Navy now, and I couldn't answer that bit.

any answers?

Hello Squaddie,

Many stories cover the difference between the RN/RM salutes. Here is one of 'em.

Apparently Jack's salutes/marks of respect had always been a quite respectable touching of the forelock, as was the customary mark of respect in civilian life.

When 'uniformity' started to gain popularity Jack merely aped his military counterparts.

It's sad to relate but Jack's smartly-delivered military-style open-palmed salute (displaying a hand salt-calloused with hard graft and blackened with the tarry residues of his craft) apparently caused considerable visual offence to his superiors and betters.

By tilting the palm downwards that offence was removed at a stroke .

Whilst Swarfega has now been on the market for many years Jack has not yet reverted to the much more correct saluting methods of his brothers in khaki and lovat green.

I'm glad you have now raised this oft-forgotten subject - After all that time the RN's non-conformist hand salute must be well overdue for a change. I have it on very good authority that a MOD Purple Committee is on the case and will be now address this deplorable anomoly with some urgency - That is directly they have finished hacksawing away at the Carriers, Harriers & Nimrodders.

Bob :salut:

Edited to add: You wanted a reference?

Not gospel but Wiki tells a similar story: Customs and traditions of the Royal Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but remember you heard it at RR first......:wink:

Last edited:
Cheers for the reply, but I can accept the Navy salute being different, cos the Navy lot are, well, different really. But its the Marines bit I dont get. Why havent they made up their minds on the way to salute?

letgoaft

yangtze_sailor06

I want to thread piano wire through your spleen and tether you to a roundabout wired to the national grid.

And I with rusty nails want to nail your penis to the top of a 3 foot high post and nail your testicles to the sides of the post. :laughing2::laughing2:

Latest Threads