What is a matelot

Seadog; accepting that you did not say 1SL explained all but I think you (and Scouse Castaway) missed my point.

My point is as an ex matelot, senior rate and officer I fully understand the need for planning, the IMPLICATIONS of ROE, and the plethora of things that can and do go wrong in such Ops. The public do not and constatntly castigate the Services for a perceived lack of grit in such situations. Unless we can find a way to explain ourselves properly we will always be at the mercy of our detractors. I, as an ex matelot, and a vociferous defender of the RN, take a fair amount of stick in my local for any bad press the RN gets (collisions, groundings, capture of boarding parties etc etc).

Surely the RN's PR staff can present a better picutre of the RN and the constraints they have to work under?

Guzzler said:
Scouse_Castaway said:
Essentially. Make as much of your point as you can in one post, rather than over the course of half a dozen one line posts. Its about avoiding spam

Although if this is a WA\H and I'v just bitten..... I'l hate you forever :p

..............and ever..............and ever..............and ever..............and ever

A 'wah' is an Army thing.

Or did I just bite?

Hehe wondered how long it'd take someone to notice the Army term and comment :)

Seadog

War Hero
OldSparker wrote
Unless we can find a way to explain ourselves properly we will always be at the mercy of our detractors.

Surely the RN's PR staff can present a better picutre of the RN and the constraints they have to work under?

Some of the public (the critics) could see live footage of the action / inaction and be linked into the communications between the key players, have a view of the situation map, MCR displays and still 'know better' than those on the scene. Their cry; why don't they just....... :roll:

In a private capacity I attended an International Maritime Bureau briefing on piracy for a group of people who I thought would have 'got it'. No such luck. They'd been watching too much 24. From the audience I did try to give them my perspective from my then recent participation in OP ATALANTA. The odd penny dropped but no jackpot.

Original Chandler's Kidnap Thread Coupled with Release Thread.

yangtze-sailor to seadog, Do I have your permission to email you a video attachment of how the pirates are delt with by Russian special forces. The video is interesting as are the list of comments and opinions following it. ( possibly emailing RR members is not the done thing and you may already have seen it).

OK Seadog; I guess you are right. Some people would 'just not get it'. A sad reflection on today's technological era where video games, 24 and McNab all pushed relentlessly by an equally naive media is in fact 'life' as they know it!

Seadog

War Hero
yangtze sailor, by all means provide a link to your clip but no, don't email it to me. It may be more appropriate in a thread about piracy, rather than one that has strayed from 'what is a matelot?' My fault as much as anyone.

Be sure to provide your informed opinion on why the Russians are so much better at fighting piracy. I am making assumptions of where you are going with this.

What is a matelot? This is a matelot. Work safe.

Seadog, I do'nt remember saying the Russians were so much better, I merely said I have a video showing how they do deal with this problem. I agree I have recently gone off at a tangent so I'll say no more.

Matelot.......the creature that causes a hungover girl such horror on waking in the morning, and the bastard you find nuts deep in your missus when you return early from a business trip :p

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
"Definition of a Matelot: A simple organism that turns lies into reasonable doubt, disarray into chaos, and alcohol into piss..."

:thumbleft:

cúnto

Lantern Swinger
yangtze_sailor06

I want to thread piano wire through your spleen and tether you to a roundabout wired to the national grid.