What is a matelot

Seadog

War Hero
yangzte sailor wrote
but I get all my information from the Daily Mail.

I can tell. From their vantage point, several thousands of miles from the pirate action, and staffed with journos not exactly brimming with experience of naval constabulary operations , the Daily Mail knows all.

Why not read what the First Sea Lord had to say at the time? He repeated it when the same ill informed bollocks was spouted when the Chandlers were released.

1SL at Chatham House

Mod cap on. Try not to have one post per sentence there's a good chap.

Keep in touch, I can see I am going to learn a lot from you. Being a new member what does one sentence per post mean (seriously) It's better to ask and look stupid than not to ask and prove you really are stupid.

Essentially. Make as much of your point as you can in one post, rather than over the course of half a dozen one line posts. Its about avoiding spam

Although if this is a WA\H and I'v just bitten..... I'l hate you forever :p

..............and ever..............and ever..............and ever..............and ever

Afraid I have to disagree with Seadog on his assertion that 1SL explained all in his speech. He did not. All he said was that by the time the RFA came across the yatch and the pirates the Chandlers were already hostages. That is as maybe; what 1SL did not explain was why the decision not to intervene was taken or what measures to thwart the pirates making land were also not taken. Most of us old farts understand ROE and the need for caution etc etc but one cannot escape the fact that without proper explanations (that do not give away too much in the way of tactics etc) the public, and the press, will probably never accept that the RN acted properly.

On a lighter note and back on thread; I particularly liked Nutty's dit on the Demise of the Matelot. I though it represented the matelot of my time (late 60/70/80's) quite well!

Guzzler

War Hero
Scouse_Castaway said:
Essentially. Make as much of your point as you can in one post, rather than over the course of half a dozen one line posts. Its about avoiding spam

Although if this is a WA\H and I'v just bitten..... I'l hate you forever :p

..............and ever..............and ever..............and ever..............and ever

A 'wah' is an Army thing.

Or did I just bite?

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
OldSparker said:
...Most of us old farts understand ROE...

And therein lies the problem - reading the back of a JSP card is not the same as having an operational knowledge of international maritime diplomatic doctrine... :shock: :wink:

Guzzler

War Hero
sgtpepperband said:
OldSparker said:
...Most of us old farts understand ROE...

And therein lies the problem - reading the back of a JSP card is not the same as having an operational knowledge of international maritime diplomatic doctrine... :shock: :wink:

They should make them bigger then :p

Seadog

War Hero
OldSparker wrote
Afraid I have to disagree with Seadog on his assertion that 1SL explained all in his speech.

I had written
Why not read what the First Sea Lord had to say at the time?

Nowhere did I say 1SL explained all. Your curiosity is not a good enough reason for you or the media to be included in the CO Wave Knight's report dist list. You get a précis leaving out the operational and tactical detail.

Hostage rescue is the remit of special forces. Even when the commander has such an asset, a plan is required. They don't do Jack Bauer.

Have the Chandler's complained about Wave Knight's course of action?

spb wrote
reading the back of a JSP card is not the same as having an operational knowledge of international maritime diplomatic doctrine...

In particular, constabulary action and its place in the spectrum of maritime operations.