What has the Govt scr**ed up ?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by fly_past, Nov 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, This is your time to make a list - with or without examples.....
    I'll start you off with

Selling off national gold stocks, when gold was at an all time low.......

Over to you....go on, you know you want to! :thumright:
  2. fly_past, surely it would be a much shorter list to ask

'What the Government Has NOT Screwed Up'
  3. Surely you mean telegraphing the UK's intention to 'dump' gold on the market thus ensuring the price went even lower.

As a new one, I'll add the annual £5bn+ raid on pension schemes Gordon Brown announced in his first budget. No wonder they slumped.
  4. - Reduced level of literacy
    - Increased hospital infection rates
    - I'm sure that I can get something quantitative about defence spending
    - Ditto regarding the incidence of teenage crime rates
    - Cash-for-honours (where there's smoke)
    - Rescinding on policy of having a referendum on the EU constitution/treaty
    - Increasing overall tax burden on the taxpayer
    - Flat lining the CGT and kill any enterprise spirit
    - Screw up an income tax change, selling an overall increase in the income tax burden as a cut (especially for low earners)
    - Not taking responsibility for the invasion of a sovereign country on the basis of lies and half-truths, then not owning up to it and claiming the "greater good" as the real reason with hindsight
    - Letting the USA walk all over the UN and cause that organisation to be ridiculed
  5. Do you mean this present government or a succession of them over the last umpteen years, way back in the 70's and 80's and probably since time immemorial.
    Whatever anyone comes up with is going to be a long list. Personally I blame them because I missed my train this morning!
  6. Hiring an army (literally) of outreachers, coordinators, tsars(?!), assorted nannies and other busybodies with no responsibility for delivery of service but all the power of state intrusion you'll ever need.

Given the cost of firing these folk, my grandchildren will be paying their pensions......
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

8. Personal debt over a £trillian and 27,000 home repossesions in 2007, (forecast 45,000 2008).