What has happened to Social Housing?

slim

War Hero
What has happened to Social Housing?
As a kid I lived for many years in a council house.
Council estates in those days (50s early 60s) bastians of respectability.
Most families were in work and paid rent, there were very few tenants who had their rents paid.
Those that did have their rent paid usually had very good & legitimate reasons why this was the case.
To be allocatted a council house you had to prove to a committee that you were a suitable tenant.
In some cases council officials would visit and instruct in the manner that the property was to be kept clean.

So my questions are:

1.When did all this change and some council estates become sink estates?
2. What are the reasons that this has happenned?
3. Why has it been allowed to happen?

slim

War Hero
Thatcher happened.
Congratulations anyone who bought their local authitity house using Maggies scheme.
many had already been paying rent for the house for decades and got a well deserved reduction.
Unfortunately I was not eligible as though I lived in council housing it was always as a kid.
Where large percentages of a housing estate were bought these estates for some reason in the main have not degenerated into sink estates.
Perhaps it is due to the fact that once people own their own property they are more inclined to care for it

Ballistic

War Hero
Congratulations anyone who bought their local authitity house using Maggies scheme.
many had already been paying rent for the house for decades and got a well deserved reduction.
Unfortunately I was not eligible as though I lived in council housing it was always as a kid.
Where large percentages of a housing estate were bought these estates for some reason in the main have not degenerated into sink estates.
Perhaps it is due to the fact that once people own their own property they are more inclined to care for it
Yes, I agree, Thatcher's policy allowed people to buy their own council houses.
This had the effect of considerably reducing the amount of social housing available...

... which was required when many people lost their jobs when her policies all but destroyed the manufacturing base of the UK and led to the creation of an atmosphere of greed, nastiness and an "I'm-all-right-Jack" mentality.
Remember that lovely phrase, "There's no such thing as society"?

A knock on effect of that was the development of the so callled 'underclass' (horrible term) where generations of families have never been in employment and, mostly, inhabit sink estates.

We
Yes, I agree, Thatcher's policy allowed people to buy their own council houses.
This had the effect of considerably reducing the amount of social housing available...

... which was required when many people lost their jobs when her policies all but destroyed the manufacturing base of the UK and led to the creation of an atmosphere of greed, nastiness and an "I'm-all-right-Jack" mentality.
Remember that lovely phrase, "There's no such thing as society"?

A knock on effect of that was the development of the so callled 'underclass' (horrible term) where generations of families have never been in employment and, mostly, inhabit sink estates.
Can we sing the above to the tune of "We will keep the red flag flying high etc.....". ;) ;) :)

Waspie

War Hero
Just my perception, but.: Most social Housing these days seems to be refuges for the unwanted. The unemployable and unacceptable members of society in general. Its difficult to see a visible line now as most social housing is ensconced within private estates so that the greedy land moguls can get plans past government planning rules.
The days of council estates seem to have dissolved into small enclaves within larger developments.
In my youth we had private rent, (those who couldn't get a council property), Council renting then private ownership. All easily identifiable. Now - who knows? Who cares?

Sumo

War Hero
My son is in social housing, he has always worked, and rented, but a landlord decided to sell and evicted him, his disabled wife and 4 children, they were looking for a rental they could afford that met their needs, the council would not help until they were evicted and made homeless. The council then put them into emergency housing, good landlord earner, landlord charges top price, which my son had to pay, the landlord has a guaranteed income from council, plus council maintains the property, win win for landlord. Their first house was classed as large 3 bed, by the landlord? Small 2 bed with bathroom upstairs, which had, had the bathroom moved downstairs taking away the dining area, tiny was an understatement. After 4 years being bounced around this type of property, they were offered a council house, then it was put on hold, as they could not remove the sitting tenant, apparently he was subletting to a group of taxi drivers, whilst living in anther council property? They had to be legally squeaky clean in evicting the tenant.

In the mean time they were offered anther which they are now in, things were made a bit more difficult as the medical professionals, the councils, stated type of entrance for my daughter-in-law, they were also continually means tested to ensure they qualified, but once in a council property if you circumstance’s change you are not asked to leave.

My feeling was that the councils have put the council housing out to property management companies, who seem to badly mange the assets they have. Private Landlords who are on the councils books are laughing all the way to the bank.