What happens at raleigh

IconicBuck

Badgeman
Just another question, Im doing A levels atm, DT, Business, Geography and ICT... will any of these be useful for promotions or is it UCAS points that count ?

angry_mac

War Hero
Nope not at all, although it shows that you have academic ability, it will not aid at all in promotional prospects. Promotion is based on your professional ability compared to your peers, your all round attitude and your potential to enhance your career. You will already have to have the educational criteria in place to be nominated for promotion. I've met a few ABs highly over educated for their core role.

IconicBuck

Badgeman
Not done it myself as it wasn't applicable to me but if it's like NAMET it's not a brain stretcher. Your ambition is to be PO gunner?

I'd set your sights (pun intended) higher than that.

Just for for info, as of this month you don't need to have GSCE (A -C) in English and A.N.Other to be qualified for WO1 anymore.

Just to add, get the LANTERN out of the way at Raleigh, one less thing to think about when you're in the fleet.

haha i like the pun there, anything higher then PO gunner will be great! just that i hear it takes a while to get anyway in the warfare branch and id really like to go as AWW but you don't get to choose do u? you get put in where ur needed. id just like to be on a 30mm cannon or mini gun ect haha STC?

tommo

War Hero
You do put in your preference to which warfare sub branch you'd like to go. However yes sometimes you do get streamed for example as a Golly (EW) or Tazape (UW).

This is changing slowly as the warfare branch is now almost full circle and heading to how it was when it was the Operations Branch (pre warfare title).

It is easily possible to be selected for your LH rate within 2-3 years in the Warfare Branch. But that's down to the individual.

OMM

War Hero
As a ET(WE) are you limited to where you can serve or is it a pretty universal trade?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Bisley

War Hero
PO GUNNER :tshirt: your shitting me :???::???:: haàaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas

Oh shit my sides hurt thanks that the best I've read in ages

tiddlyoggy

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Only Complete butt ******* idiots fail at Raleigh, if you can barely read, write, take your iPod into inappropriate situations, you'll make it into the fleet, where you can do untold damage to what was once a fine and professional navy. Don't worry about adding up and down (subtraction), I'm sure an over worked, demoralised, unappreciated Senior Rate will sort that doozy out for you.

******* hell Mac, you really are becoming a bitter man:cussing:. I don't remember you WE's being too overworked on the sausage (or any ship for that matter, unless uckers counts as work of course).

0G1N

Lantern Swinger
You do put in your preference to which warfare sub branch you'd like to go. However yes sometimes you do get streamed for example as a Golly (EW) or Tazape (UW).

This is changing slowly as the warfare branch is now almost full circle and heading to how it was when it was the Operations Branch (pre warfare title).

It is easily possible to be selected for your LH rate within 2-3 years in the Warfare Branch. But that's down to the individual.

Golly no pot wash (normally)

angry_mac

War Hero
******* hell Mac, you really are becoming a bitter man:cussing:. I don't remember you WE's being too overworked on the sausage (or any ship for that matter, unless uckers counts as work of course).

Nah not bitter mate, and this wasn't directed at the original poster who seems a bright lad. I'm actually leaving in May with a smile on my face, grateful to what the Navy has given me, but fully aware that I've certainly repaid that with 23yrs loyalty. I turned EC down, for a few reasons, but the main one is that its just time now for some new challenges, exactly stopping me from becoming that bitter Chief Tif pushing against the glass ceiling of being an engineer in the RN.
The rant is just directed at the systematic downgrading of professional standards over the last decade, from the disastrous OM implementation, to the shocking decision of getting rid of the Artificer. To the slow erosion of RN engineering support in favour of Babcock/BAE/Rolls Royce etc, purely because the RN cannot or has no willing to retain their talented and skilled Tifs and Mechanics. This ET policy is a poor mish mash of the two and will fail, leaving the lads who joined as ETs frustrated, demoralised and leaving before they can make a difference as POs and CPOs

Latest Threads