What happened to union street?

kingoftwigs

War Hero
I'm sure everyone can recall a time where union street was like a matelot mecca, now it's more like a war zone. I remember going on draft when it was great, coming back from pompey 2 years later and it was arse! Who or what was responsible for this?

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
Whenever I'm in guzz I prefer the barbican for a few beers, especially in the warmer months. I felt a few years ago that Union Strasse was becoming shiterer and shiterer. Mind you, I always seem to end up in The Clipper for the last one or two of the evening.

2badge_mango

War Hero
Visited both the Straza and Queen Street within the past year. Hardly anything is recognisable in either from my service days ('52-'75). Only saw one person in uniform in Pompey - an officer nipping across from the Wardroom to RNB (Nelson), and no one at all in Guzz. The famous rows of pubs seem to have all been replaced by blocks of flats with a few dowdy shops spattered here and there. Mind you, the way things appear to be going, you'll soon be able to accommodate the whole of the RN in your average pub!

Very sad.

2BM

Last time I went down the Strasse for a few, a kind young man showed me the machette he had fixed (by the scabbard) to the inside of the drivers door of his nova, as I stumbled past.
Not been back since, its just not worth it.

Mutley is the up and coming area for matelots to stagger around.

slim said:
The Barbican and town centre.
Are we turning our lads into a bunch of horay Henry's?
Oi Oi, less of that Slim, I own a flat on the Barbican, nice place to live, if you are an expert with edged weapons :grin: The punch ups I have seen from my front room window are a sight to behold. :twisted:

kingoftwigs

War Hero
I'm also getting irked by the increasing number of trendy pubs in Guzz, surely there are not enough pretencious tossers in Guzz to fill them all!

Strangely enough I remember having the same conversation 17 years ago when I left Guzz, preferring the Barbican because Union Strasse was no more.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Whatever happened to...? The Gash Barge 17
slim What has happened to Social Housing? Diamond Lil's 8
MoD_RSS Speech: "We cannot ignore what has happened in Salisbury." MoD News 0
Hooly Who knows what happened to HMS Duncan Current Affairs 17
P What happened when Superman took on the Commando Challenge Current Affairs 0
digger84 Whatever happened to keeping your dirty laundry private? Current Affairs 6
Ballistic A friend bit him, then this happened... Diamond Lil's 5
Topstop What happened to the search function? Bloody Computers 3
T HMS Daring, just so happened to be in the Southeast Asian region Current Affairs 54
U Has something just happened to HDT travel expenses? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 33
Topstop What happened to? The Quarterdeck 0
Rumrat So what the **** happened. Diamond Lil's 21
BillyNoMates Yogi? What the f**k happened to your face? Diamond Lil's 0
Rigsby What the feck has happened to my plums? Hobbies & The Great Indoors 4
T What happened to.... Diamond Lil's 5
rod-gearing What ever happened to: Diamond Lil's 7
K Whatever happened 2 Saturday Nite Diamond Lil's 29
Ja5on What Happened to Warship? The Gash Barge 8
jesse What the fcuk has happened to Portsmouth? The Gash Barge 42
Montigny_La_Palisse What the fcuk happened??? Diamond Lil's 11
Grim_Reaper Oh dear, it's happened again. Current Affairs 17
Carrolannabelle what ever happened to the D23 The Fleet 39
Polycell So what happened to Nos eights Submariners 45
K What's happened to the uniform The Gash Barge 140
shellbackmac What happened to my dit? The Gash Barge 3
ex_rubberdagger Whats happened to 107 Tp members?? RMR 53
B What's happened to Norman? Site Issues 30
finknottle What Happened to Cdo on the Front Line? The Corps 5
Shakey What happened to the NCAGS mobilisation thread? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 22
M What's happened to the site? The Corps 16
D What happened to Creddly? The Quarterdeck 20
A What Happened at Walcheren? History 8
Oil_Slick What happened to 'Global Warming'? Diamond Lil's 18
Polycell What happened to the CE branch? Bases / Shore Est 4
The_Wonderer What happened to the pensions ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
M How things change ( or what ever happened to the sea going R Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
T What happened to the old Warfare Branches? History 3
F What happened in the Fjord with Grimsby? Current Affairs 3
T What happened to nine o'clockers? The Quarterdeck 60
MoD_RSS Union dividend of £1,941 for every person in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New release shows the value of the Union to the nations of the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: Union stronger than ever MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK to work with African Union to slow spread of coronavirus in Africa MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully The Union Jack Diamond Lil's 2
MoD_RSS Response to the Fire Brigades Union on supporting fire services MoD News 0
C Can't PM Union Jack Bloody Computers 1
MoD_RSS Travel advice: Rugby Union Six Nations match against Italy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letters from the Prime Minister to Department for Exiting the European Union Ministers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chance to ‘win while you save’ with new credit union prize account MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister launches new Growth Deals funding as he kicks off Union visits in Scotland MoD News 0