What goes around, comes around

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Karma, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In 1958 London's Notting Hill was the scene of some of the worst racial violence Britain has ever seen. But for those caught up in a less-reported race riot in Nottingham days earlier, it was an experience that shaped their lives.

BBC report

It's just that nowadays the origins of the immigrant has changed.
  2. But don't you think whereever you travel there is always racism? from the overt stuff that we suffer here to more covert racism. We have travelled a lot to north africa and the locals there loathe the east europeans, they really look down on them as second class citizens.
  3. And your point is?
  4. Oh yes. I've spent a fair amount of time out in Hong Kong, before and after handover, it's rampant there. Same with the Persian Gulf, I find the arabs treatment of everyone quite distasteful.

It's more an observation that the hate figures change, nowadays the West Indian population is largely integrated, although there are clear issues with academic achievement and achievement within the workforce. Todays hate figures are Bosnian, Serbian, Kurdish etc.
  5. No I think it is more than that, it is anyone who is different. Look at Birmingham .. the black kids hate the asians.
  6. I've been in Hong Kong 14 years now - once a gweilo, always a gweilo. However, living in the NTs for the past two years, the Chinese people are different to the HK Islanders.
  7. I see what you mean, but tbh I'm kind of stumped about how to make myself clear.

I'm not convinced that we'd get the same level of tension now based around what are now indigenous populations, although in your example both segments probably include both indigenous and immigrant elements.

OTOH I see quite a lot of rhetoric which conflates legal and illegal immigration, suggesting that there is an increased risk of this uncontrolled violence.
  8. MOD HEAD: This thread will be unlocked on the basis that no racial bashing goes on, the first plank to jump on this wagon will have this locked.
  9. That's mighty white of you :lol:
  10. Would you be so kind as to point out the "racial bashing" that made you lock it in the first place please, i'm at a loss as to why it was locked :)
  11. Charlie 601............crack on!
  12. I agree Lamri.
    Surely the actions of the Moderator indicate the larger social problem here. This is the fact that no-one can seem to discuss immigration, migration and ethnic tension between different cultural groups, or even try to address the issues without someone instantly jumping up and down calling all involved racists.
  13. Hey guys, lets just put this one down to Jenny having a bad day, after it is not her noemal way of dong things.