What film is this...

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by jockpopeye, Oct 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

... there is a film that I have sene the end of a few times many years ago but have no idea what it is.

It is an 80's cold war thiller and the end shows Russian troops invading somewhere over a frozen sea in shiny troop transporting lorries that look like petrol tankers.

The ice gives way and all the pesky Ruskies are dragged down to the icy depths.

The protagonist is then left on the ice in what appears to be a suit and overcoat.

Some prick in a helecopter says something smart arsed to him and fcuks off leaving him to walk off on the ice floes as the credits roll.

If anyone can tell me what film this is I would be much obliged.
  2. Is it definitely a 1980s film, JP? I ask because the ending of a 1960s film featuring Michael Caine, called "Billion Dollar Brain", fits the bill.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

Could be...(looks up million dollar brain on youtube) ... yes, that's it. That has plagued me for years, I thought it might be from a Jack Higgins or Clive Cussler or something of that ilk, but had not considered Len Deighton, it seems that he has gone out of fashion in recent years. The sadest thing about the demise of the cold war is the demise of the cold war thriller. It is a bit sad in a way that the best film that I have seen recently at the cinema was Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I have heard that a sequel is being made with the working title Sailor, Landlord, Hooker, Joss Man.

Many thanks Sol
  4. And the third in the series is to be called; Chico, Civvy, Sailor, Civvy (and maybe) Sailor once again......
  5. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Sol is correct. Michael Caine plays Harry Palmer an ex soldier. 'The IPCRESS File' is the best in the series followed by 'Funeral in Berlin' IMO.