What exactly is SIFT?

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Greenation, Jun 2, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What exactly is this stage of the recruitment process?

What does it stand for?

Am I correct in guessing that the process looks like this:-
    • Apply
    • Psychometric Test
    • SIFT
    • Interview
    • Medical
    • Offer

?

2. It is not an acronym.Sift, as in sort out the wheat from the chaff.

3. So it's essentially something they do, not what I do?

The next stage is the interview if I get one?

4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Provisional offers are made then security clearance and medical are required. If all ok a formal offer will then be made.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.

5. That's right.

6. Yeah sift literally means what it says, they sort who they want to interview and who haven't made the cut.

7. I'm guessing this is the difficult part then?

I've heard that the RFA has a workforce of 2000 in total, so they can't be that many people on each intake. I wonder how they separate the "wheat from the chaff?"

8. Well depends on how you look at it, you don't have to do a thing until they get in touch with you, there is nothing you can do at this point.

yeah its around that I don't know the exact number but where as the RN supposedly take a couple of thousand recruits a year the RFA take a couple of hundred.

I don't know the criteria for the sifting process its generally not something they would give out, but I got through so cant be that difficult ;P

9. But did you have any experience in the trade you went in for?

The thing is, I don't. I have a couple of other things as well that may make them doubt my commitment to joining. These include two withdrawn applications to the Royal Navy, a few gaps in employment and me pulling out of a university course. I've worked most of my life, and got some decent GCSEs and other (although non-relevant) qualifications but I can't help but think there's much going against me, to be honest.

10. Not really, going for ENG apprenticeship and my only relevant experience was a college course in welding and 2 years as a labourer in the steel works. But that was a while ago, it obviously helps but the job was advertised as un qualified and no qualifications needed.