What exactly is a commando?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kola, Jun 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. whats the difference between general infantry and commandos re UK forces

IE why is one an infantryman and one a commando when they do a very similar job
  2. This has got to be a bite right? I'll leave it to those with better judgment to respond....
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A Commando doesn't wear underpants apparently.
  4. a bite??

No not at all? Its a serious question. My wife asked me and I haven't a clue what to tell her.

I used to be in the infantry in the Army and am now looking to join the RMR.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

In short, a Commando has to successfully complete the Commando training & Commando Tests either in RM Commando Recruit Training or on the All Arms Commando Course.

(Link below to RM website)
  6. yeah I know that m8 re the training but then they do a similar job.

I understand the RM is an elite force and the infantry isnt so im not trying to start war. just interested.

If it comes down to the RM being better trained than the infantry how comes the SAS are not commandos.

If it comes down to being elite how comes the paras are just infantry?

Im more confused by terminology than disagreeing that the RM is anything but the best.

I fully understand what a RM is. I just don't get the commando bit.

Dont think this is coming out right at all.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Not sure what you don't understand. If you complete the Commando course you are a Commando. There are Army and Royal Navy Commandos too & doubtless some RAF Regiment guys have passed Commando training also.

If you do the UKSF course you become a member of the SAS or SBS usually.

If you complete parachute training you get parachute pay. No-one is claiming anyone is better, it's a title.
  8. Para's are an infantry regiment who predominantly PARAchuted into the theatre of conflict in days gone by, that's how they got the name.
    Most members of the SAS and SBS come from the Marines and Para's as they already have most of the training required completed so some of them will be commandos as well.
  9. If you in the army you can be many things and then you can pass the all arms commando course and then your commando trained.

Think for me the confusion comes in because you cannot 'not' be a commando if your a RM.

How is someone who is commando trained any diff from someone who is infantry trained. They both live in a field and fight with light weps and are front line troops.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

The Royal Marines Band service are not Commando trained usually.
  11. sry m8, i edited my post as you replied. just to make you aware
  12. is it right to say then that commandos are not infantry units?
  13. The commando phase of training includes:

1 The commando skills of amphibious assault using a variety of craft
    2 The commando skills of cliff/vertical assault training
    3 Water crossing techniques
    4 Live firing Section and Troop attacks
    5 The commando tests
    6 The six day final exercise.

Throughout the Commando phase recruits must demonstrate the qualities inscribed on the Commando Medal i.e. determination, courage, unselfishness and cheerfulness under adversity. In short, the commando phase is about assault techniques and the demonstration of the commando ethos/attitude.

NOTE: The above is part of basic training, it is not 'further traiinng in a unit' etc. Hence, a trained RM is regarded as operationally ready for war the moment he passes out. He does not have top go and do further field firing, or go on to learn how to operate further troop level weapons. In short, the trained RM is ready for war and has the commando skills and attitude required for placing him anywhere in the world in a light raiding, SF support, expeditionary role or assault role. How many infantry finish basic training with the skills required to use all light weapons at their disposal, fight any place in the world (any unit will be packed with experienced arctic and jungle warfare guys too), yomp for miles, carry out covert amphibious and cliff assaults, etc?

I'm not trying to 'big' us up, so perhaps someone else could put it better :thumright:

Unfortunately, the RM website is incomplete (it doesn't have relevant video or many sexy pics beyond about week 16) and it describes the Commando phase as the "Command Course". How's that for an error!

(Edited for clarity. Then edited again to add another point of CLARITY!)

14. Lying twat, you were in the army and you dont know the difference between the Royal Marines and a normal infantry unit? ..fcuk right off
  15. Ok, why can you not tell her what it is about the RMR that's causing you to join that rather than a generic infantry TA unit, or indeed any other TA unit?

You should appreciate the difference here, otherwise why are you bothering to put yourself through the Commando tests
  16. Agreed. Anybody with previous pongo experience would'nt ask such a Bone question. If your looking for a bite why not ask a para on an airbourne forum the same question.
  17. because the commando test is a bigger achievement than standard infantry.

I am not debating the training here at all all though I seem to be getting peoples backs up which is not my intention.

I am asking once trained what is the diff between the 'role' of a commando and the role of an infantryman? (better way of putting it, should have said this in the start)
  18. If my question is so 'bone' Id better post it in the newbies forum then. Oh I did, silly me.

Whats my options then just not to ask anything incase you think it 'bone'

It is the newbies forum!!!