What entitlement to be shore side within last 12 months?

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by FunkyJunky, Sep 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. having a debate at work with a leaver.
    he has just put his notice in (3 weeks ago) and done already nearly 14 years service.

he seems to think that he will be entitled to have his last 5 months alongside/not sea going??

is this correct as we could not find anything in BR 3

cheers

2. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

It is in BR3 as I have recently had to look int it, sadly I can't remember the reference. Your friend is incorrect IIRC. Any resettlement entitlement he has earnt belongs to the RN, ie they can even extend him beyond his current terminal date to do his resettlement/terminal leave. Sorry I can't be precise as I was looking for the relevant section that applied to me (could I be extended to do resettlement past my Tx date to do resettlement if leaving at the end of an open engagement. The answer is no incidentally), but I am fairly sure I'm correct wrt to this.

3. If he's done 12+ years he's also entitled to 30 working days Graduated Resettlement Time which if he is at sea and not released to do courses he can get an extension to complete. This is a recurring question and, while other services seem to have a much better attitude towards the transition to civilian life, the RN looks to ensure they get that last little drop of blood from you. I don't think any entitlement is actually laid down anywhere so it's pretty much down to when the career manager lets him ashore.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. ah cheers
    thought as much

5. One of the references is with regard to the TOR's of the branch manager as I recall. He/She will try to place the service leaver in his/her home port area for their last five (or so) months of service, but the branch manager is not obliged to do so. Needs of the service etc etc. I live in the Plymouth area. My last draft was Sultan...and that was that. 35 years service.

6. Tiddly,

Did you look in the resettlement jsp about your situation. There are a couple of references in there to extending service to access resettlement if you've been refused time by your CO or boss. Sounds to me like its possible.

7. tiddlyoggy

Exactly right as I recall.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tiddlyoggy

No, you've misunderstood me. Drafty was looking at drafting me. I'm coming to the end of 2OE5 and have not taken the poison chalice with the £40K in it. My RFS date was 6 and a half months before my Tx date. I had to give the reference to him to show he couldn't draft me (well for two weeks only, not much use that though!)

9. Ah so they wanted to extend you, not you wanting to be extended. I get it now.

10. So there it is. He's entitled to 3 months if he's done 14 years or more. I'll keep a note of that reference.

11. cheers for that
    last 3 months alongside

12. And therein lies the problem with the RN's "people management system". And I bet the JSPs and BRs that relate to money and finance are more than for "guidance"; you would be court-martialled if you ignored that guidance.

It is important to note that generally the "needs of the Service" means that someone dropped a bollock somewhere and working hard to cover their mistake. (He says as a victim of "needs of the service")

13. tiddlyoggy

Kinell, Jimbo, anyone would think you were a pusser....

14. No. He's right. Context is all important. If a JSP says you should get something that benefits you but not the service then its 'guidance'. If however it says you shouldn't get something that benefits you then its a solid unbreakable rule.

15. You sure you're not a Barrister flavoured Pusser ;)

But let's be honest, neither of us will change this. But amusingly the Pers Div are fighting hard against some of the promises contained in the New Employment Model, on the basis it will constrain them from "needs of the service" style tricks.