What elce do Divers?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by northener, Aug 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, this is my 1st post on this site.

The RN wedsite for the CD branch said that some units learn infantry skills and parachuting. Also i have been told they have a martime counter terrorism role, just wondering what that was (or is it just underwater force protection?).

Thanks for any and all help.

2. behave..................

3. Hi Northerner!

The MCD (mine clearance diving branch) is predominantly made up of CD's that serve onboard MCM vessels and make up the Diving team. They are normally led by either the XO/OPS officer who is a qualified CD. Having said this the day to day leadership is provided by the Coxswain (a PO) assisted by a Leading Hand along with about 4 divers. Their taks onboard is to provide the command with an asset for the disposal of mines alongwith the Paps (submersibles) or on upgraded ships the Sea Fox Mine Disposal System. As a baby diver your first draft will be to a MCM as part of the dive team.

Other RN MCM assets include three diving groups in Plymouth, Portsmouth and Falsane (Scotland). Their task is three fold: Engineering work in the dockyard, Munitions (flares, 2WW munitions) disposal around the coast and finally IED (Improvised explosive device) disposal.

The branch also has three other diving units. SDU1 is what you are talking about and is responsible for the CT (counter terrorism) role. They work alongside UK Special Forces and are parachute trained. They also have limited infantry skills. An example of their use would be the clearance of a safe passage onboard a hijacked merchant ship ensuring that there are no IED's so that SF can re-take the vessel.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Well said.

5. I Hope Bergen is correct and that these guys have to complete the Underwater Knife Fighting Course first, otherwise they don`t have a chance. :w00t:

6. Ninja_Stoker

Nah, it's all changed Hig:

It's the Underwater Kite Flying Course nowadays. Easy mistake, mind.

7. looking at your post title you would make a good CD. Just as well you dont have to do joined up writing eh?

8. Ninja_Stoker

Always dangerous to comment on grammar, Shipmate.

You missed an apostrophe, by the way. :thumright:

9. They also make sure that every mirror in their vicinity is alright. From my time on sweepers they could never walk passed one without checking it was okay.

10. If they run out of air, they drown......

11. Ninja_Stoker

PMSL.

Funnily enough we were talking about the Diver's Branch Recruiting DVD.

We knew they'd completed all the filming in 2005 but it took ages for them to edit it short enough to fit on a single DVD.

We took receipt of the DVDs late 2006.

12. Does the DVD contain the same video found on the Mine Clearance Diver section of the RN website? It shows the top board at Horsea Island still hasn't been replaced; there used to be three of them with a sign saying "One way only ->".

13. Would there be any Marine Underwater Fire Fighting on that or is it the wrong sort of DVD

14. They spend all their spare time velcroing new patches onto their snazzy PTI blue tops,big timing it around the dock yard.

15. What spare time? You're just jealous because they can still dive deeper than Astute ;P