what does the x mean in service number

just found my dads service number he was a royal marine ply/x5703 i understand ply is plymouth but what is the x? i can remember being told when i was small he served aboard the ark royal , he was born 1930 so probably joined 1946-48 and i understand he served a good many years i would love to find out more if anyone can point me in the right direction

sorry to be stupid ex pongo here , but still unsure what the x is as my father was a royal marine so only had 4 digits in his service number 5703 is this correct?

does anyone have any pictures or details of the ark royal company of marines around 47 to 54 and where can i get hold of my fathers service record if i do not know when he took the shilling

fishhead

War Hero
does anyone have any pictures or details of the ark royal company of marines around 47 to 54 and where can i get hold of my fathers service record if i do not know when he took the shilling
It may be worth looking for a Facebook site specific to Ark Royal. There will be plenty of photos from the more recent Ark Royals but possibly some from the older versions
If you're hoping to find his Service Records the https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/ may be able to help.

Pg41562

Can I piggy back On this thread? . Any advice on how to Find out about able seaman eric gosling P/jx347431 hms comus.

Thanks
Paul

soleil

War Hero

This is the link you need to apply for your father's Service Record, ms:

Pg41562

I know from his marriage certificate he was 21 yrs of age in 1944 and was an able seaman on the hms comus. His gave his ID as P/JX347431

Last edited: