What does "released to shore in Class A" mean?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by bikertigs, Jul 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, could anyone help with an RN-related question? My father was "released to
    shore in class A" at the end of WW2. What does this mean? Does it relate to his
    state of health or to his prior conduct. Any help in translating this Navy-speak would be greatly appreciated.

Graham Rand
  2. Discharged ship, released to Reserve/Shore base? "A" snappy dresser and all round good egg?

Lots of examples on the net.
  3. Hello Graham,

Class A release meant that individuals were being released to Shore or from the Forces under the Plan for Re-allocation of Manpower in the period after the defeat of Germany and before the defeat of Japan. Individuals released under this order were still subject to recall to Naval Service in an emergency until the defeat of Japan.

Hope this helps.

4. Many thanks Sweetpea and Topstop. All is now clear. I had originally thought that it referred to my Father's state of health, which ironically was very poor due to TB when he left the service.

Thanks again

5. Graham, It has been a pleasure to be able to assist you.

Actually, I came across a copy of the Class A Release Form online (see below), your father would have received the same.

I do hope that your father recovered from TB.