what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mrs_m, Mar 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My 17 year old wants to train as a CT. He passed his RT with very high scores last October, and his references have been taken up and were excellent. He was advised to apply as an officer but didn't want to. He rang up this week to see how best to use the waiting time (he's going to the gym, doing voluntary work, doing some more qualifications etc but up to 3 years that he was quoted is a long haul) and was surprised to be told that he could go ahead with his eye test this week and medical next week. Is that a good sign, or is it just trying to keep his enthusiasm going and the wait will still be ages?

2. wait will still be ages im afraid :/

3. A shame for my son, but nice for me as I get to hang on to him for a bit longer :)

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Eyesight standards for Comms Techs are the same as Warfare Trades. If your son wears glasses or contacts, he may well be borderline with regard meeting the acceptable parameters.

In any event, rather than keep someone waiting 3 years only to find they are medically unsuitable, it makes sense to perhaps have an eyetest sooner ratherthan later.

At present I'm unaware in any shift with regard waiting times for CT.

5. His eyesight will be fine as he's been tested recently and has never had any problems.
    Yes, it does make sense to get the medical done asap. It was just a surprise to hear back from the recruitment office within hours of making enquires about the waiting time, and also to get a phone call saying please get in touch when you have the eye test results. It raised my son's hopes, and mine too (kind of!) but it seems he will still face a long wait. Ah well.

6. Ninja_Stoker

The waiting time for CT is nearer 24 months than 36 at present, however times will naturally fluctuate depending on successful applicants & numbers required.

Generally we need very few, so each time there is movement, the number of applicants increase & the waiting times increase as there are only one or two entries per year.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  7. Hi,

Just to back up NS. The current waiting time for CT is 24 months, but these do flucuate. I'm surprised if you son is only 17 that they are medicalling him as it will only stay valid for 12 months. If they wait until he's 18 it will stay valid until he joins.

Hope everything moves on smoothly for you

Regards

SM

8. Thank you SM, that's kind of you. Actually my son is not 17 till the end of May, so he's almost 17. I'm just not sure what to think really. Maybe they hope to weed him out via the medical so that he doesn't waste any time, but I hope for his sake he gets through as he has his heart set on it.

9. Any office with spare capacity can medical any candidate at any time. They may just be clearing through the candidates who are waiting processing. It will give him time to rectify anything they find (If anything). So don't worry it's just the process for entry

Hope this helps put your mind at rest

Kind regards

SM

10. He got through the eye test! VA1! Everything crossed now for the medical....

11. im sure he will be a credit to you mum Just as my mum was I sent her to Join the Navy

12. Thank you Brendan :)

13. Ninja_Stoker

Erm, run that by me again....You made your Mum join the mob too?

It was only a matter of time I s'pose. Now the upper age for ratings, for most trades, is before the 37th birthday we could theoretically see a mother & son join Initial Naval Training simultaneously. That would be a cert for a mention in the Navy News.

14. Only if they were from Portsmouth.....

15. He got through all of the medical except the hearing test - just have to have his ears syringed and then try again. PJT and interview in a couple of weeks! I know he's just another newbie to all of you, but you were so kind when I was concerned and I had to tell someone how proud I am! Thank you for all your advice!

16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Good on him and you Mrs M, keep us informed