What do you think of Private Security Companies?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by jjw6789, Sep 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I was wondering if you could spare 5 minutes of your time to fill out a little questionnaire about your opinion of Private Security Companies? It's for my University thesis which is exploring what members of the Armed Forces think of Private Security Companies and whether they are an attractive employment option after leaving the Forces.

Private Security Company Survey

Whether you're currently serving, are retired or are thinking of joining the Armed Forces - I'd really value your thoughts?

The survey shouldn't require too much effort apart from some intelligent clicking in the right places!

If you could spare a few minutes, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I can smell journo... :shock: :oops:
  3. Josh mentions Thesis.............we need Paul Calf's attack dog. brushteeth
  4. Hi sgtpepperband,

The survey is for my 3rd year undergraduate thesis. Not quite sure how I can prove that but you'll see my University email address at the end of the survey.

Hope that helps,

5. Hi Guys,

I should have better explained/introduced myself.

I'm 27 - a mature undergraduate in my 3rd year at University studying Geography. I became interested in Private Security Companies after some feedback from a couple of my friends who are in the Forces. I've spent the summer speaking with Private Security Company management, serving personnel and industry bodies. I thought a human/political dissertation on Private Security Companies would also be a lot more interesting than studying a glacier! (what a lot of Geography students end up doing!)

I'm trying to get a picture of the impression of Private Security Companies within the Armed Forces and whether they are an attractive option after leaving.

Please find a more detailed outline of my Dissertation plan below.

Working dissertation title:

The battle for human capital; a study of the relationship between Private Security Companies and the Armed Forces.

General area of investigation:

Private Security Companies (PSCs) with headquarters in the UK are the focus of this dissertation. The market for private military services such as the provision of military advice, training, logistical support, intelligence and tactical assistance has grown exponentially since the end of the Cold War, now generating in excess of $100 billion in annual revenue (Kinsey, 2007). This growth has been fuelled by a number of national and international factors including the downsizing of state armies, increasing privatisation and outsourcing of government services, the failure of governance in many developing states, the globalisation of markets, the rise of violent non-state actors such as Al Qaeda and a lack of public and political will, often termed 'body-bag syndrome', to commit state military resources. Although the history of UK PSCs can be traced back to mercenaries operating in Africa in the 1960s and 1970s, the typology of contemporary PSCs is far more diverse, ranging from multinational corporations such as G4S Group operating in 110 countries with 585,000 employees, to small one or two man tactical military organisations which draw from a network of Special Forces veterans.

Specific issues that will be addressed:

Private Security Companies belong to a severely under-researched newly emerging industry. The minimal academic literature that currently exists focuses primarily on the regulation of PSCs and issues of accountability. My area of research looks at the relationship between UK PSCs and the Armed Forces and how UK PSCs relate to and recruit from the Armed Forces, MoD and UK Government.

Research outline:

The social, political and economic context of Private Security Companies and their recent growth
    The recruitment of military personnel from the Armed Forces/MoD/UK Government to UK PSCs (and vice-versa)
    The Armed Forces personnel perspective
    The Ministry of Defence perspective
    The PSC employee's perspective
    The PSC management perspective
    The PSC trade industry perspective
    The relationship between UK PSCs and the British Government
    The macro-economic and political interests embodied within the relationship between PSCs and the British Government.
    If you could spare a couple of minutes to fill out the survey it would be great,

6. Check out Al Capone,ex coppers and the Kary twins, :idea:
  7. That had me laughing at 7am - no mean feat! Some of those posts are true classics.

8. In 'olden days' they were called mercenaries.....'soldiers of fortune'
  9. Hi,

We're up to 68 responses to the online survey on Private Security Companies so far, so thanks very much for everyone who took the time to let me know what they thought. If I could get 100 responses, it would be fantastic, so if you are currently serving in the Armed Forces or are now retired - I'd really appreciate if you could spare a few minutes to provide your feedback on Private Security Companies.

Private Security Companies Survey

Thanks again,